OK you want an analysis.

First you were on a road you knew so you were somewhat at ease having traveled it many times.
You did not see the oil on the road and having just been accelerating still gaining momentum as your rear tire hit the slick.
It happened quickly which means you were surprised and had no time to react. It was an OH SH...... moment.

Your gear just saved your life.

You were in a no win situation. Since you have traveled this route many times you were programmed on how the ride it.

Something changed that you could not have been aware of. The fact that they put the sand down after your accident is an indication they know you were not at fault.

Glad you are still with us and praying for your recovery.

(I may not know what I am talking about, but it sounds good)

That there was a fine seat of the pants analysis, Amigo!
Mostly based upon your apparent Vukcan mind-meld with @Rocket_Rider.
The response will undoutedly be that the road was sanded because of the down motorcycle hemorraging the fluids foynd on the road surface. :D :thumbsup:

A long time ago, riding a Honda 305 on a rainy day. Came to a turn with a crown and a very smooth surface. I don't remember if I hit the brake or not, the rear end slipped down on the crown, it was quite a steep crown as I recall, and down I went. Fortunately slid off the road and onto somebody's front lawn. Wasn't going fast at all, 30 or less I would think. I've come to notice that here in Maine. many of the rural roads have a steep crown to them. Looks to me they did a bad job of widening the road.

Another time riding the Bonnie, hot day, tried to power thru a sharp turn, kind of slowly, hit the center oil strip and the 994 slipped out, caught the better pavement and whiplashed me, but I didn't go down. Still scary though.

So some things that I am really aware of now are the above and steel man hole covers, larger painted areas on roads, loose sand and gravel in the spring and after heavy rains. Condensation on parts of roads happens alot too in shaded areas, on the east side of hills.

Ride safely,

Hoopla

Accepted. The alternate would be that the oil, which caused the wheel under acceleration to step out, ended.
While stepped, out the clear dry pavement provided a sudden increase in friction which allowed the tire(s) to regain traction,
Here's the point where we begin to share our own experiences with similar situations.

It was raining hard and our group (12 riders) were accelerating slowly from a stop, all crossing a steel bridge over a creek in the city. I upshifted to 2nd early (usually do this in wet weather to help with traction) but as we hit the steel on the bridge, my rear end broke loose with no warning. I throttled back but not before the rear end swung to and fro. Never hit the brake and the bike righted itself as I throttled back. The fellow following me was amazed that I managed to keep upright. I guess what helped was the fact that we were crossing the bridge in a straight line with no turns otherwise I might have been on my side. What amazed me was how quickly the rear end broke loose. I was the only rider out of a dozen who had this problem crossing that steel bridge, mind you all the others had half the power of the Rocket. I have since learned to accelerate cautiously upshifting quickly in wet weather especially around steel roads, manhole covers, new pavement etc etc....

Glad you shared your experience with us. Hope you fully recover soon.

On a slick surface, I see no advantage in shifting to second early. Shifting/clutch will cause some degree of disruption to the rear tire rotational velocity. This increases the opportunity for a break in traction, especially true if transitioning between two surfaces with a large disparity in friction values. Steady slow acceleration is best. On those grated bridges, I find a diagonal line across just your lane works best. It exposes more of the metal surface to the tire.

A long time ago, riding a Honda 305 on a rainy day. Came to a turn with a crown and a very smooth surface. I don't remember if I hit the brake or not, the rear end slipped down on the crown, it was quite a steep crown as I recall, and down I went. Fortunately slid off the road and onto somebody's front lawn. Wasn't going fast at all, 30 or less I would think. I've come to notice that here in Maine. many of the rural roads have a steep crown to them. Looks to me they did a bad job of widening the road.

Another time riding the Bonnie, hot day, tried to power thru a sharp turn, kind of slowly, hit the center oil strip and the 994 slipped out, caught the better pavement and whiplashed me, but I didn't go down. Still scary though.

So some things that I am really aware of now are the above and steel man hole covers, larger painted areas on roads, loose sand and gravel in the spring and after heavy rains. Condensation on parts of roads happens alot too in shaded areas, on the east side of hills.
Ride safely,
Hoopla

I assume you were negotiating a left turn.
This is termed an off-camber turn. They are extremely dangerous, evidence of poor road engineering, and cause of many commercial truck roll-overs.

Back