It is hard to tell - but acceleration plus torque plus loose sandy stuff CAN get the rear end to be lively.

If you feel up to it: walk about and look for anything like and old nut or odd size stone. I lost a Guzzi once in a roundabout : there was a bit of rubber cush drive right in "the line".

I should point out... the sand was not there when I went down, that was put down by the fire brigade after my accident when police noted there was oil all over the road from a previous car accident

Not much to go on here, but clearly you were traversing through an "S" curve and the rear tire lost traction.
This caused it to come around the front. When the bike had slowed enough for the rear tire to regain traction, you were cross-ways and it high sided, catapulting you off in the worst way.
Sand or wet on road surface likely would have alerted you to impending danger and result in sudden application of the rear brake.
This would result in the rear tire breaking traction and subsequently kick out the rear wheel.
Due to serious lack of data, I offer this only as a likely scenario based upon your photos, comments, human factors and my experience.
This is NOT offered to the legal level of more probable that not basis. :D
Best fortune for your recovery, both physical and motor. :thumbsup:

For the record I am not going to take anything as legal level anyways.... I just want to understand how I got injured as much as possible especially if it may assist in preventing future incidents

There was no sand on road when I went through, the light was lower and a bit overcast in early morning and I couldn’t see what’s so obvious in the photo (that photo is taken in bright midday light) ... basically I didn’t perceive anything to be wrong with the road, but in fact there was oil on it and even now a number of days later the road surface is still slippery enough to slide on flat soles shoes....

Obviously had I seen the slick I would have either gone past to the right of it or literally stopped, turned around and gone another route... which I could have...

What I’m most interested in is understanding best technique if you lose traction at the rear wheel

Usually - Roll off throttle fast and don't touch the brake.

Ok well at least I didn’t touch brake!! The throttle wasn’t that far open but I think I simply maintained the same speed... it’s hard to tell as it was soo sudden, I was riding then in air, then a loud noise as my head /helmet hit the roadway and then I basically was on the road looking at my engine sump...

When these oh **** moments happen they are usually so fast you have no time to think or react, although in your case In think you did bloody good, as we all know oil on the road is like ice on the road and as we only have two points of contact so we try and avoid it at all times.
Combination of factors at work here
#1-Previous accident(oil on the road)
#2-early norning-was the sun in your eyes?
#3- Cold tyres-the first few miles on a bike are more dangerous untill the tyres get warmed up.
#4-We all like the torque on these bikes but in this case it did not help you
The main point out of all this is A-T-G-A-T-T in this situation your helmet probably saved your life or at the very least stopped you from talking funnier:D, one lesson learned here is that the short wearing , flipflop(thongs) helmetless riders take note.
Considering it was a high side crash you were lucky the bike did not land on top of you, unlike a low-side crash where the bike is sliding ahaead of you.

Back