Personally I would only fit aluminum bars to my R3. The reason being that, in the event on a crash at speed, substantial steel bars would likely result in serious damage to the engine block at the point that they are attached. The fixings are into aluminum.
In my opinion these bars would only be to protect the bike in the even of a stationary fall or a maneuver at parking speeds. It wold be interesting to do a poll to see how many members of the forum have dropped their bike under these conditions and how many have had a crash at speed.

Steve

Personally I would only fit aluminum bars to my R3. The reason being that, in the event on a crash at speed, substantial steel bars would likely result in serious damage to the engine block at the point that they are attached. The fixings are into aluminum.
In my opinion these bars would only be to protect the bike in the even of a stationary fall or a maneuver at parking speeds. It wold be interesting to do a poll to see how many members of the forum have dropped their bike under these conditions and how many have had a crash at speed.

Steve
Yes. I think many here, including myself, will agree with what you have said.
It's certainly a tricky thing technically, to achieve a solution that will protect the bike when riding. To have any real chance in achieving that goal would need a huge amount of real world testing and if there is a product out there that had had that much development into the making of it, we would be informed all about it......and we would be looking at a hefty price tag to buy such a thing.
I believe that to is technically possible, but wouldn't like to speculate as to how nice it would be to look at.

It's a tricky one. I can see some benefits of a set of light duty set of bars like that though.....Providing they don't bend into an area of the bike that wouldn't otherwise have been impacted if dropped on the floor.

the steel bars have saved the bike many times from stopped or very slow moving.
and if i went down at higher speed i lose an engine gladly to save a leg.
and i will be trying to balance on top of the bike while the bike is grinding away on the pavement.

the steel bars have saved the bike many times from stopped or very slow moving.
and if i went down at higher speed i lose an engine gladly to save a leg.
and i will be trying to balance on top of the bike while the bike is grinding away on the pavement.
Another good point!
There are many factors to consider.

Steve
Put me down for crashing at speed on the 3R. My Roadster had chrome bars ( you could also bend those by hand) and they saved the bike more than once being dropped at a standstill.

Hi All Yes the bars are well made from High tensile aluminum and they could not be bent by hand so I took them to an engineer with a vertical hydraulic press,He had several goes in the press as they would spring back slightly after each press They are very strong in my opinion Take Care Ride Safe

Hi All Yes the bars are well made from High tensile aluminum and they could not be bent by hand so I took them to an engineer with a vertical hydraulic press,He had several goes in the press as they would spring back slightly after each press They are very strong in my opinion Take Care Ride Safe
They sound stouter than the chrome bars I had on the Roadster and they do look fairly sturdy, especially given what it took to bend them to the correct shape. Thanks for being the first to get these and share with us.

Back