Crappy fuel mileage, or help a brotha out....

Toystoretom

Living Legend
Has anyone had poor fuel mileage... say mid to high twenties... and had it fixed by the dealer (or yourself) and had it go back up to the mid thirties???

Second question... those of you still using the stock air filter, does it start to clog up at 10, 15, or 20K miles and hurt your fuel mileage?

Ugarte... didn't you say something about a cracked intake? Did you mean cracked throttle bodies? Or was it the goofy plastic plenum attached to the throttle bodies.

Any sensor problems... like speed sensor, cylinder head temp, primary throttle potentiometer... that sort of thing?

Anyone had something like a locked up caliper that hurt mileage?

I'd like to hear about successfull fixes.. but ideas would be good too......

Tomo

Toystoretom said:
Ugarte... didn't you say something about a cracked intake? Did you mean cracked throttle bodies? Or was it the goofy plastic plenum attached to the throttle bodies.

The dealer just said cracked intake....likely it was the goofy plastic plenum...in any case the crack was allowing a lot of excess air in, hissing like a banshee. Got poor gas mileage, bike burped and farted at idle..and the engine quit occassionally upon rapid decel...as in coming off the freeway.

He did say the fix took a couple of hours and he had to order the part from triumph.

Bike runs like new again and gas mileage is back in the happy zone.....35 to 40

Man!!! You guys really maked me jealous with 35 MPG!!!! The best I have gotten since new (now have 21,000 on the odometer) has been 25 mpg. I average 22 mpg. I got rid of the cat-con hoping to get better mileage, but actually got less mileage. Changed my stock air filter at 19,000 when I first started getting a serious miss/running problem at steady throttle. Put a stock filter back in. Didn't do any good for mileage or the poor running....:(

Something must be wrong

I am not sure why you are getting such poor mileage. When I went to Nashville in July doing between 75 and 95 I was getting between 36 and 38 mpg. At one point on the odometer I was at 210 miles on the tank and the fuel light had only been on for about 30 miles. When I filled up I put in something like 5.7 gallons.

I wish you luck in finding whatever is wrong.
Dennis

first mileage check

I have only put a few of hundred miles on my '05 RIII since I bought it but it has already become clear that this thing is a gas hog. My first mileage check was 24.5 mpg. :mad:

I rode conservatively to try to see what the bike would do when not pushed as far as gas milage goes. The speeds were around 55 to 60mph on secondary roads.

It had the CAT bypass, TOR pipes and a Power Commander (which I can't tell you anything else about except that it's "in there". I know it has also been screwed around with using a Tuneboy program. I think it was mentioned that it is "zero", whatever that means............ :confused:

Any suggestions on the sucko gas mileage?

Nothing................

Any suggestions on the sucko gas mileage?

There is another thread running concurrently to this one but I'll summarize my comment there.....Basically, the more modifications done to the Rocket to improve performance, the poorer fuel mileage it gets.

Mine is completely stock and I average just a little better than 40 and it's staying stock.

If you want performance, expect to pay for it at the pump. The Rock ain't a moped even in stock (unmodified) form. Want mileage? You better ride your Burgman more.

You can't have it both ways even if you want it.:)

Flip,

I am not looking to have it both ways. I am trying to become educated. The bike I bought had all this stuff on it and while it is "cool" and makes noise, I prefer to go a little further on 5 gallons of fuel (when I would expect to look for a fill-up) than 125 miles.

I expect I am going to be removing the hi-performance stuff soon as I can live very easily with the stock power numbers.

FYI, the Burgman is no leader in fuel economy either but it does manage to get 50+ mpg.

Hi

Fisrt thing I'd do is get rid of the Power commander. Why they have that and a Tuneboy?
Then I would find out what they did with the tune boy. Check the fuel and O2 intake. Third is it giving you full power in 1st threw 3rd. If so you might want to put it back to factory. In the low gears using heavy throttle you are going to use a lot of petro.
Good luck.

I get great gas milage for the type of bike it is, say's something for staying stock right sidecar. I hear the Vespa gets great gas milage:kick:

Flip,

I am not looking to have it both ways. I am trying to become educated. The bike I bought had all this stuff on it and while it is "cool" and makes noise, I prefer to go a little further on 5 gallons of fuel (when I would expect to look for a fill-up) than 125 miles.

I expect I am going to be removing the hi-performance stuff soon as I can live very easily with the stock power numbers.

FYI, the Burgman is no leader in fuel economy either but it does manage to get 50+ mpg.

Dave:

I know what the Burgman gets. I've looked at them for my commute

Fisrt thing I'd do is get rid of the Power commander. Why they have that and a Tuneboy?
Then I would find out what they did with the tune boy. Check the fuel and O2 intake. Third is it giving you full power in 1st threw 3rd. If so you might want to put it back to factory. In the low gears using heavy throttle you are going to use a lot of petro.
Good luck.

I get great gas milage for the type of bike it is, say's something for staying stock right sidecar. I hear the Vespa gets great gas milage:kick:

Yes, it does (the Vespa) and besides, Vespa's are as cultish as the Rockets are.......

I know, we didn't buy the bikes for mileage and all that but lets face the facts. Crude is over 91 bucks a barrel so we all know what's gonna happen to the pump price and so a little frugality on our part will go a long way to extend the enjoyment of our bikes. Simply stated, I'll take my high 30, low 40 mpg over 20-25 any day. Yeah, that 25 mpg bike might beat mine but not by much and I'll bet I can pass up more gasoline stations than the other bike can.

Back