Cost for 2nd service (10,000 mile)

snuffcityrider

Living Legend
Hey Captians, what have you guys been paying( except for Mr. Flip who does his own)for your 10,000 mile service? I paid $422 and no valve work was needed. I believe vasaline was extra:rolleyes:. This may be the average cost, I just don't know. I figured up that my rocket is costing me almost $100 a month in maintenance, with the 500 mile service, 10,000 mile service and rear tire all in about 9 months time. In fairness to my dealer they do excellent work and in a timely fashion, they also gave me a loaner bike which was helpful seeing that I live 60 miles from the dealer. The bike was a Victory Kingpen, nice enough bike but I can't really compare it to the Rocket. :bch:

Yeah, right...

Snuff:

I read the post on the first service and went back to new posts and saw yours so I'll drop it here (like a pigeon relieving himself while flying above your head).

Honestly, other that changing my own oil and probably like (Wilbur) changing my own tires, I'm a little intimidated by by internal service. I have a shop manual and a big roll around box full of tools (when I keep it neat I can actually find the right tool), but I'm still intimidated by the electronic wizardry of the R3.

My problem is with the demise of my dealer last year (NorthCoast), the closest dealer is a little more than 60 miles away, try 120 miles. I do have a Saviour though. One of the guys I used to work with owns a bike shop. This guy, his name is Adam was always a gear head and he quit my ex-employer and opened the shop (ThunderCycle). He sells no new bikes, just works on them. Anyway...

I was visiting with him 2 days ago. Adam is good to visit with. For one thing he smokes Marlboro Red's (same as me so I can always bum a few) and he's always up on local politics and, he's the Regional Rep for ABATE in Michigan so I get to hear about all the local crap against bikers in general. Adam related to me that he's always busy. It seems as though most of the local dealers (Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki) don't like to work on older bikes. Adam told me that if a bike is older than 8 years, the dealers basically refuse to do any work and refer the customer to him. I guess because we live in a 'throw away society' you ride 'em a few years and get a new one.

We got talking about the Rock and my T100 and the dealer dilemma I have and Adam said he'd take care of my services especially when I related to him about the cost of the 10K service on the Rock. He told me (and this is interesting and I believe he knows what he's talking about) that when you use synthetic lubricants like 4T and Amsoil that have a high Moly content, valve train wear is minimal, especially the rubbing wear between the shim and the the cam lobe. To that end, what he does is gage the valve train wear without opening up the top end, but rather doing a cylinder compression check. He told me that the normal difference is 10-15 percent between cylinders but that he tightens that up to 5-7 percent. If the cylinders aren't more than 5-7 percent difference between them, there is no need to open the engine up and with synthetic oils, he finds that at 10K, there is really no wear. He told me that if I wanted a feeler gage check on the valve train, he'd do it but he'd do a compression check first. With my dealer problem, I'm going to have him do the 10K check unless someone here tells me different, I'm going to go with what Adam says to be true.

Besides, I have no issues with the EFI, no idle problems, nothing. I don't want the revised tune injected in my ECM and I especially don't want or desire to pay almost a thousand bucks for a service at 10K and not really know whether the Triumph technician at the dealer actually opened up the valve cover and gaged the wear or did a compression check like Adam said he'd do and then charge me for everything whether they did it or not.

We all know that for 'liability reasons' (there is that old catch all again), you can't physically be in the shop area to actually see what's being done. I can sit in Adam's shop and smoke his Marlboro's while he fiddles with my bike as he has no 'liability issues'.

To that end, I ordered him a shop manual too. Might as well make his adventures with the Rock as painless as possible.

Last edited:
I have a dealer @ 60 miles from me, Castle Powersports in Nashville. I bought my rocket at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga@ 120 miles from me. My 500 mile service at chatt. ran me @170.00, because I had to buy two gallons of oil at 48.00 per to have enough to refill the tank. My 10,000 mile service at chatt ran me@ 130.00, because I took the remainder oil from 1st change back to them and they happily used it to top me off. A great bunch of people to deal with, bikers that are not out to rip anybody off. Sold me my bike for @ 1500.00 less than Castle would, and without the attitude.

Castle is where I got caught in an emergency, and had to have a rear tire put on, NOW!!!
Castle charged me 337.00 to put a Metzler on the rocket, and still had an attitude about it. NOT the guys turning wrenches, I dont have a problem with them, but the guys at the desks have always been voids surrounded by sphincters every time I have walked in.

I wish I knew of a shop close by like Flip has found, but I do technical maintenance on cnc machining equipment for a living, so when my warranty runs out, I will do my own work, with a service manual of course. Til then, I will ride to chatt whenever possible.
Gotta get a front tire soon......bacroads over Monteagle mountain.....YESSSS!

mdtaylor,
If you get down to Chatt town look me up, I work in Chattanooga and live in NW GA, ride around Monteagle quite often.

My Beast is in the shop right now for the 10 K service and getting a couple of warranty issues taken care of before it expires in several months. I went back to the small dealership outside of Richmond, Va. where I purchased the bike. When I dropped it off they were courteous and went over all of the documentation I brought concerning what services I wanted and copies of threads on the "Paint Can Rattle" and cures. We'll see what it costs in a couple of weeks. I do have an extra kidney, well used from Coors Light which I can sell. I do all my own work for tires, brakes, and oil changes but when you start talking valve shims for adjustments, I just didn't get that memo. I hate to swell Tomo's head to the point where he can't wear his hat, but a good mechanic well versed in modern technology with good basic diagnostic skills is worth his weight in gold.

I hate to swell Tomo's head to the point where he can't wear his hat, but a good mechanic well versed in modern technology with good basic diagnostic skills is worth his weight in gold.
AMEN

...I bought my rocket at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga@ 120 miles from me... My 10,000 mile service at chatt ran me@ 130.00, because I took the remainder oil from 1st change back to them and they happily used it to top me off. A great bunch of people to deal with, bikers that are not out to rip anybody off. Sold me my bike for @ 1500.00 less than Castle would, and without the attitude...Castle charged me 337.00 to put a Metzler on the rocket...I wish I knew of a shop close...

I too got my Rocket at PVT of Chattanooga. Also got an awesome deal, and a 10% discount on accessories. I can see another trip to CHA for my 10k check up, though I'll have to get another gallon of Amsoil. Mike V. and the rest are Super. I had a local MC resort www.29Dreams.com do the rear swap for $288 and I was out the door, inside two beers.

I finally found Indian Hills MC resort, east of Rockford AL. They're oriented a bit rough (but aiming higher), CADfather was right. They're on AL22 between Alexander City and Rockford between CR 30 and CR40, just east of Hissop community. Lost my Lamina Lip (LameLip) on this same day. BTW, they will replace the lip for 1/2 price + shipping ($15), what a sprout :( My next excursion, toward an objective, will be in search of http://www.southerneaglemcresort.com/ , near Florence AL.

Last edited:
Back