Coolant leak at water pump area

johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
I've had other bikes leak a little coolant in cold weather and this bike (2008 R3T) has done the same. It seems it would leak if he temperature would drop below 70 degrees. It was always just a few drops and I could ignore it. Now, it's leaking enough to do something about it. It seems to only leak after I shut the engine off and it sits for awhile. Has anyone experience this? Is it a seal or the entire water pump?

Thanks,

JR

Last edited:
One of the three bolts holding the water pump on is also a drain plug. It is supposed to have a sealing washer. First, check to see that the bolts are torqued on correctly. If they are, and it is leaking from one of the bolts, then loosen it off a little and put some gasket goo around the head of the bolt, then tighten it up. That is a temporary fix - unless, of course, it works.

I have an 08 R3T, and had coolant leak from the upper water pump bolt. I ended up wrapping Teflon tape around it and it sealed it. Recently, I replaced the broken detent spring and replaced the pump formed "O" ring and top bolt washer and all is well.

Back