Combine Two Rockets? A classic and touring.

VoltaicVoltaire

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket iii
A few of You may have seen my recent post I have a 2010 touring model with a bad engine. I just picked up a 2008 classic with a salvage title. My plan is to combine these two. I like the tins so much better on the classic, the touring is black while the classic is a lovely two tone. I would rather have the rear wheel from the classic as well and I think the forks were better on the classic.

Should I Frankenstein this thing? Or is it too much trouble and should I just swap the engine over to the touring?

I do like the idea of a touring bike with hard bags, but this classic is so pretty. There is minor damage to the tins but not enough to bother me. I would be willing to have the saddle bags painted if I could use the tins. I don’t even know if the classic gauges will match up to the touring harness. Are the basic frames the same? Obviously I will use the touring frame and the classic motor, beyond that I am open to suggestions.

Anyway, I will be diving in this week. I would love to hear you advice. I will part out whatever I don’t use. I will give you all first crack before stuff goes to eBay.

Pics— I forgot pics. Touring is a bit apart still.

Attachments

• A499F370-AEA8-436B-B201-0ADE784D1842.jpeg
    A499F370-AEA8-436B-B201-0ADE784D1842.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 9328A07A-40E8-4543-9F9A-51CF8ED7FF31.jpeg
    9328A07A-40E8-4543-9F9A-51CF8ED7FF31.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 19
Jmo
I am partial to the classic
Different frames
Side panels
If it were me i would try to put the bags next to the classic and see how it looks and if nice try to do the classic.
On motor switch the neutral switch if diff there is upgrade u can buy.

I don't think it will
And if u try to use the whole assembly then your fender and bags more likely won't fit.
I am not a tourlng guy but I do like the bags

Back