Cold start issue... Please help 05R3

devildog48

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3
Hi all,
I have posted about this issue before with no resolve. Hoping someone can help me out. Unless the outside temp is at least 80 degrees or more it will not start also has a very slow and sluggish turn over. I figured out that if the temp is less than 80 degrees I can take a space heater and place it on the foot peg on the same side as the ignition coils and let heat blast the side of the engine block and under the tank for 25 mins. After 25 mins and hold a quarter throttle while cranking she will fire up and run the rest of the day no issues. My battery is a brand new antigravity lithium battery with 660 cca. My voltage also rest at around 12.4 to 13.0 with some sort of phantom draw. I have upgraded my positive and negative lead coming off the battery to a 4 gauge wire. I Have went through and cleaned every sensor I could on the bike and replaced the ambient air temp sensor and map sensor with no change. New ignition coils, wires, and plugs also no change. Triumph could not figure it out. They even replaced the ECM to see if that was the issue. There is still no change. All I can gather is that the heat from the space heater is traveling under the tank and making some type of electrical expand and completes a connection. Any help would be wonderful as I am not getting any from the dealer. I hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

Hi Devildog, I am not an expert but I have been reading the threads about the Toyota 1.4kw starter motor upgrade, as I suffered a no start earlier this year - UK temperatures much lower and the Rocket is sensitive to the cold. My battery tender wasn't up to the job and a replacement has sorted me out, but the starter motor upgrade is me thinking ahead for next year.
Have you taken the chance of looking at your starter motor?

Thank you for the reply! I have not, it was rebuilt taking the guts out of a Toyota selica I believe. What does the starter motor upgrade intel? That will be the next thing on my list!

I'd start with checking the earth, motor to frame, then reco the starter motor or upgrade it to the more powerful option above mentioned by @1K9 and @Steel

I have an 05 (two actually) and neither have given any starter hassles unless the battery was stuffed or if I left the bike outside in freezing conditions, or rain. Obviously this is not your issue but, also I have been told on modern vehicles that if the voltage on startup is too low you can end up being able to crank the motor over but the sensors that feed to the ECU are not powered, therefor no spark.

A freind also got a rebuild kit for his starter motor, was cheap and solved his issues. An 05 bike is nearly 15 years old now so things like this will happen

Good morning @devildog48, I won't bore you with my long story about cold starts. BLUF: Inexpensive Starter Replacement Page 16 is my picture story of how I did my on the pavement in front of the house.
I've gone through many batteries in 2014, changed battery cables but until I swapped the Toyota starter motor, nothing lasted long. So far, this set up with a new AGM battery works down to 20F without heat or tender.

Good morning @devildog48, I won't bore you with my long story about cold starts. BLUF: Inexpensive Starter Replacement Page 16 is my picture story of how I did my on the pavement in front of the house.
I've gone through many batteries in 2014, changed battery cables but until I swapped the Toyota starter motor, nothing lasted long. So far, this set up with a new AGM battery works down to 20F without heat or tender.

@devildog48 Do what @Boog says for the princely sum of $82.00 you'll cover all bases, and even if it wasn't the issue, it would have been one day.

Back