Clutch question, please help.

To the best of my knowledge, JASO MA oil IS specifically a rating for motorcycles with wet clutches. Please correct me (with some resources to confirm) if I am wrong.
Ok I'm not the smartest feller on the block but try a google search for Shell motorcycle oil and see how much rotella shows up.

Are you the original owner ? Maybe someone else ran car oil in it ? Do you have the correct amount of freeplay in the cable ? It's very critical. I'd be surprised if your clutch is worn. I don't baby mine, and I have approx. 75,000 miles on my original clutch. Just had it apart and it looked like new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you the original owner ? Maybe someone else ran car oil in it ? Do you have the correct amount of freeplay in the cable ? It's very critical. I'd be surprised if your clutch is worn. I don't baby mine, and I have approx. 75,000 miles on my original clutch. Just had it apart and it looked like new.
I'm not the original owner. I just got it about 3 months ago. I've put about 2400 miles on it, total miles is 22,250. I did change the oil recently, within 5-600 miles. I'm quite sure Shell Rotella (or any other oil) couldn't ruin friction plates that quickly! It had absolutely no clutch problems until Monday afternoon, when it slipped very badly. One minute I could snap the throttle and lift the front wheel in the air, the next minute it was slipping like a one-legged man on ice.

dumping the oil and replacing with full synthetic would be the cheapest option I reckon.
I will be doing this on the 2007 I mentioned that has started to pulsate.

Given its just about due for an oil change id be swapping out the rotella for any of the others mentioned here...rotella might be up to spec but it doesn't get good reviews regardless of make of motorcycle. I used it in my 'busa - once.

...aaaaaand given you have to change oil soon anyway it will be a 'free' fix if the clutch issue goes away :thumbsup:

As others have said, change that oil!!
You need 4T rating!! You are using the wrong oil!!! Your clutch will slip with the wrong oil!!

To the best of my knowledge, JASO MA oil IS specifically a rating for motorcycles with wet clutches. Please correct me (with some resources to confirm) if I am wrong.

Jasmo 2 is the correct rating for R3T I believe. I really like Amsoil. I've tried 2 different types and right now Amsoil seems to give me the best result. Using 20-50 Full Synthetic.

Back