Clutch question, please help.

Probably worn from improper adjustment. Is it a silver engine or black? I ask so I can determine most likely which type of components are in it. Barnett makes a complete kit. I can not speak to it except if Neville Lush says they are good I believe him. One thing I can say is the last person who contacted me about a very slippery Barnett clutch had the rear fiber in the wrong place. I use MTC fibers with OEM steels along with Carpenter springs (which seem to be the strongest). MTC does sell springs for the Rocket which are KZ1000 springs. They are supposed to be 25 % stronger than OEM. I wonder if that's the old springs not sold in the update kit which I believe changed with the Touring. There is a fellow captain who posted the difference in the different spring pressures. Depending on how fast you are and if you have done it before; my best time has been two hours hard at it. Four hours is what Triumph says and well, I like not being hurried. The pulsating feeling could be the coming from the plates sliding by the anti-judder spring and seat. I suspect the same sound as when you put the small ID fiber on the back instead of the large. Oh and yes with MTC fibers you remove the anti judder seat and spring.
Just my opinion a lot if people order parts before they take it apart. Which I do if I've had that particular bike apart and know what is in it. Case in point the great video above is an '08 Classic with the lifter piece and bearings, along with the pressure plate of the early 04/05 clutch (silver engine) and if @rocketrookie has a black motor with the newer style clutch my bet is it has the smaller headed lifter piece which changed in later years first showing up in the 2011 touring.

DSC0241220resize_zps254a8196.jpg

Ok technical library stuff done time for my second cup of coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably worn from improper adjustment. Is it a silve engine or black? I ask so I can determine mist likely wjich type of components are in it. Barnett makes a complete kit. I can not speak to it except if Neville Lush says they are good I believe him. One thing I can say is the last person that contacted me about a very slippery Barnett clutch had the rear fiber in the wrong place. I use MTC fibers with OEM steels along with Carpenter springs. Which seem ti be the strongest. MTC does sel springs for the rocket which are kz1000 springs. They are supposed to be 25 % stronger then OEM I wonder if thats the old springs not sold in tge update kit which I believe changed with the touring. There is a felliw captian the posted the difference in the different spring pressures. Depending on how fast and if you down it before my best time has been two hours hard at it. 4 hours is what triumph says and well I like not being hurried. The pulsating feeling could be the coming from the plates sliding by the anti judder spring a d seat. I suspect the same sound as when you put the small ID fiber on the back instead of the large. Oh and yes with MTC fibers you remove the anti judder seat and spring.
Just my opinion a lot if people order parts before they take it apart. Which I do if ive had that paryicular bile apart and know what is in it. Case in point the freat video above is a 08 Classic with the lifter piece and bearings, along with the pressure plate of the early 04/05 clutch (silver engine) and if rocket rookie has a black motor with the newer style clutch my bet is it has the smaller headed lifter piece which changed in later years first showing up in the 2011 touring.

Thanks Scott, the one I am asking about is a black engine 2006/7 with high mileage and no upgrade kit.

Thanks Scott, the one I am asking about is a black engine 2006/7 with high mileage and no upgrade kit.

I think mine has started to slip also.

Was in an 80km zone tonight and in 4th did a roll on from 50km came up behind the in front and slowed down police car was coming the other way he did a quick u-turn a few cars behind me but never put the lights on. Must have thought I was gonna rocket past the car.

I have the ride of respect on this Sunday so will find out if clutch is stuffed then as might be a few hills to get over.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Probably worn from improper adjustment. Is it a silver engine or black? I ask so I can determine most likely which type of components are in it. Barnett makes a complete kit. I can not speak to it except if Neville Lush says they are good I believe him. One thing I can say is the last person who contacted me about a very slippery Barnett clutch had the rear fiber in the wrong place. I use MTC fibers with OEM steels along with Carpenter springs (which seem to be the strongest). MTC does sell springs for the Rocket which are KZ1000 springs. They are supposed to be 25 % stronger than OEM. I wonder if that's the old springs not sold in the update kit which I believe changed with the Touring. There is a fellow captain who posted the difference in the different spring pressures. Depending on how fast you are and if you have done it before; my best time has been two hours hard at it. Four hours is what Triumph says and well, I like not being hurried. The pulsating feeling could be the coming from the plates sliding by the anti-judder spring and seat. I suspect the same sound as when you put the small ID fiber on the back instead of the large. Oh and yes with MTC fibers you remove the anti judder seat and spring.
Just my opinion a lot if people order parts before they take it apart. Which I do if I've had that particular bike apart and know what is in it. Case in point the great video above is an '08 Classic with the lifter piece and bearings, along with the pressure plate of the early 04/05 clutch (silver engine) and if @rocketrookie has a black motor with the newer style clutch my bet is it has the smaller headed lifter piece which changed in later years first showing up in the 2011 touring.

Mine is a 2007 w/black engine.

The Barnett clutch kit comes with the "one" fiber plate that has a larger center opening, for the judder spring. I used that kit, but left the judder spring and washer out. It works great, but I do get a slight judder from time to time with clutch pulled in. I suspect it is the one plate with the larger center opening, sort of rattling around in there. Also used the Barnett springs as they appear a bit healthier than the stock "factory upgrade" springs. No more slipping! If I were to do it again, I think I'd use one "good" stock fiber plate instead of the one with the larger center hole, and no judder thing. It is quite a job, and requires a bit of mechanical ability, and patience.

I just got done replacing the clutch plates and springs. Used Barnett. Did not have to replace lifter piece. (Now we have a extra) Followed video on YouTube. Very happy with the clutch. Big improvement over the stock clutch. Highly recommended while doing this procedure to go ahead and buy a set of Samco hoses for the radiator. Just a footnote. The three bolts that hold the fan on the radiator were as loose as a goose. I used blue locktight on everything. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Very happy with the results:):):):):):):):)

Back