Clutch Failure

I have been having to tighten my clutch adjuster to the point that it was almost out of adjustment. This morning it broke. Pulled the clutch and noticed that the lever on the side of the case was pulled straight up as far as it could go. let go of the clutch and pulled it again and heard a snap. All the tension went out of the cable. Cussed up a couple of storms, got out the tools and pulled the front cover. The end had popped off the actuating rod in the center of the clutch. I pulled the clutch out to inspect it and found that the flat [Torrington] bearing behind the clutch pressure plate had eaten into the aluminum about 1/8 of an inch. Lots of chewed up aluminum everywhere. The bearing was assembled with the roller part of the bearing right against the aluminum of the pressure plate and the steel washer on the back side of the roller. [See pics]
I have been complaining about a noise and vibration from my clutch area since around 11,000 miles. Have had it to the dealer and left it there for a week for the same problem. Dealer said he couldn't find anything and told me to just ride it. Does anyone here have any advice on trying to get Triumph to help me with this problem?

Ok, I'm having some trouble with the pics. I'll try again soon.
Try power of prayer!

Can I butt in here...I'm new to the R3,I have an 06 rocket..it seems the clutch is really noisy on mine,when I pull the clutch in its quiet but let it out with the motor running and it sounds horrible.
They are a wet clutch?...are they normally noisy?..my first r3 so I have no idea.
The dealer just fixed the output bearing on the driveline which was also buggered..im running out of time if I want to take it back again.
Actually even riding it its almost got a clutch rumble.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Can I butt in here...I'm new to the R3,I have an 06 rocket..it seems the clutch is really noisy on mine,when I pull the clutch in its quiet but let it out with the motor running and it sounds horrible.
They are a wet clutch?...are they normally noisy?..my first r3 so I have no idea.
The dealer just fixed the output bearing on the driveline which was also buggered..im running out of time if I want to take it back again.
Actually even riding it its almost got a clutch rumble.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
@nzfreeriders I have to guess, 2006 with a silver motor?

Last edited:
06 with a black motor..after reading the posts im wondering if the bearing behind my pressure plate is on its way out...I just dont know how noisy they are normally.
They do rattle a little the older style clutch rattles more IMO. It does show a improvement with the newer lifter piece in it as the head is larger so there is less room to rattle around in the lifter shaft pocket. I would say you ok unless it is real bad then I would open her up for a look see.

They do rattle a little the older style clutch rattles more IMO. It does show a improvement with the newer lifter piece in it as the head is larger so there is less room to rattle around in the lifter shaft pocket. I would say you ok unless it is real bad then I would open her up for a look see.
Thanks..had me worried for a while there...now I can get back to enjoying the new beast.

Back