Clunky gear shifting ?

That clunk into 1st is good. In fact, if you don't get it there's a chance of it jumping out of first under load. If I'm not moving I always let the clutch out in neutral before engaging 1st and it will clunk when I go into gear. Before I figured that out mine popped out of 1st a couple of times as I accelerated and it's not nice.

Ummmm yep - WOT on a ZX9R thought a piston was gonna come straight through the tank at 16,000rpm!

That clunk into 1st is good. In fact, if you don't get it there's a chance of it jumping out of first under load. If I'm not moving I always let the clutch out in neutral before engaging 1st and it will clunk when I go into gear. Before I figured that out mine popped out of 1st a couple of times as I accelerated and it's not nice.

Canberra, what do you mean by saying "I always let the clutch out in neutral before engaging 1st"? Mine pops out of 1st sometimes when I've shifted from neutral into 1st so I want to try your tip. Thanks.

O.k guys got in contact with penrite & have now found racing 10 is not jaso rated because of it's zinc levels being to high this effects wet clutch applications. They now have a specific range for wet clutch motorcycles which I put in. Did a 600 k ride last Friday & bike performed great. Still a little clunky but I guess that's the nature of the beast. Thanks for all the help everyone (special thanks to Kaivalagi for the heads up). Just need some sort of throttle lock now for long rides, might do a search or does any body have a favourite.Cheers ;)

Glad you got it sorted, bit naughty of them to state that the oil is okay for motorcycles really! Hope you got a discount on the new stuff ;)

When my detent spring went the changes were pretty much as before; it just wouldn't stay in gear. If you're not jumping out of gear the problem might be something else. Your detent could be on the way out but maybe look at your clutch adjustment before pulling anything apart. When was your last oil change?

The neutral light not working is probably unrelated. The gear position sensor at the back left of motor could need a clean. Undo the two bolts and pull it out - no need to disconnect any wires. Clean the little spring loaded pin too and as you tighten it back up move it around a little to find the sweet spot. If this isn't clear, send me a PM.

The clutch must be adjusted properly for smooth shifts and you choice of oil also can make a big difference. My bike shifts much smoother with Amsoil than any other oil that I've used in it.

Also I have noticed mine is a little sensitive to rpm. It is much quieter as a rule if I keep the rpm up a little during a shift. It clanks pretty bad if I let the rpm drop to much before hitting the shifter.

Canberra, what do you mean by saying "I always let the clutch out in neutral before engaging 1st"? Mine pops out of 1st sometimes when I've shifted from neutral into 1st so I want to try your tip. Thanks.

Just means exactly that. Pull the clutch in to start the bike, preferably in neutral, and then, while still in neutral, let the clutch out. Pull it in again to engage 1st. It should clunk every time and should stay in gear. Mine does. If you're still moving when you go into 1st it seems to clunk anyway. Important thing is that if it doesn't clunk while going into 1st it will probably pop out under load. Well that's what mine would do. I just make a habit of neutral, clutch out, 1st.

I thought "clunk" was the norm for Britt bikes.

Sound I hear going into 1 & 2 especially. Start bike put in to 1 gear. Every time I think tractor. Try to feather engin speed to trany to smooth out shift.

Have ridden Kowasaka, Yamaha and Honda in my experanced all shift a lot smoother.

Good thing Rocket is faster and always ahead of the pack.

O.k guys got in contact with penrite & have now found racing 10 is not jaso rated because of it's zinc levels being to high this effects wet clutch applications. They now have a specific range for wet clutch motorcycles which I put in. Did a 600 k ride last Friday & bike performed great. Still a little clunky but I guess that's the nature of the beast. Thanks for all the help everyone (special thanks to Kaivalagi for the heads up). Just need some sort of throttle lock now for long rides, might do a search or does any body have a favourite.Cheers ;)

I am having similar issues after putting Penrite 10 tenths Racing 15W-50 in my Rocket III. Thought maybe I'd missed something on the bottle but if you look carefully on the older bottles (they have new bottles now that don't mention JASO MA) JASO MA is definitely on the label, which mine had even though it was a different grade. JASO MA is just below the W in 10W (for those of us whose vision ain't what it used to be). Looks like I'll be changing my oil (and brand too)!
10w40.jpg

Last edited:
Back