Clunky gear shifting ?

I have the rocket 3 touring 2012 and I've put 5000 mls on it, through all that riding the gearbox has sounded clunkey as you say , the hotter it gets the worse it goes.on a long ride my right and goes numb with the vibrations, but I have been stuck in traffic on the hottest days, been out riding in group's been camping on it ,been out for a blast on Britain's finest country roads and I have loved every minute. All bikes have their quirks and the rocket is no different, what you have to remember is 2.3cc kicks out some grunt so you need a lot of metal to keep it all in place, enjoy
I'm just going to speculate about that sound, I have an 05 r3 so I know they do have a agricultural sound when shifting; maybe you can try changing the oil and the final drive gear oil, "Remember I am just speculating, good luck and be safe"

I'm late to this party, but every bike I've ever fiddled with the transmission will get clunky when its good and hot. Mainly after say 100 miles in my experience...I just think it's the nature of the beast in bikes whose transmissions have to bathe in the same oil that has just been cooking in the engine. No long term harm, but the parts expanding from heat cause odd fitments, and strange shifting. It all sorts itself out when the bike cools down.

I thought my bike was quite smooth in the gearbox dept.
Got it back the other day after having the detent spring done and I **** you not it's even smoother ????
What is involved time & $ to install detent spring.
My 2008 classic slips our of 1st sometimes when starting and slips out of 2nd on the way down.

Back