Cleaning chemicals and the R3

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I've searched all the forums and I can't find anything that relates to this, so here goes.

I tend to keep my both my bikes as close to spotless as possible (ask BanjoBart). Living on a dirt road makes it even worse as in crawl at 2 mph to the pavement.

My dealer uses Simple Green and S100 and I've used S100 before but it's as expensive as Corbin accessories ($30.00 per gallon at Dennis Kirk). I also use Simple Green, but Simple Green won't cut the road grime that gets on the bottom of the engine without using a scrub brush.

I did find an inexpensive alternative to S100 at TSC (Tough Shi* Charlie's), you know, the farm store with the Chinese tools. It's called Purple Power and it's made by Aiken Chemical Company. Looks and smells like S100 but it's purple and works as well if not better and it's right around $8.00 per gallon or about 28% of what S100 costs. I use the Purple Power on the engine and the Simple Green on everything else. After I'm done, I use an air hose and blow the water off and then dry the bike with one of my wife's good bath towels (when she's not looking).:D When it's dry and clean, I use Honda Pro Polish to shine them up. S100 has a polish very similar to the Honda stuff but the Honda goo is cheaper. HD folks use the Honda Pro Polish and cover the "Honda" with black electrical tape.:rolleyes:

One tip I might add is if you get bugs on your windscreen or face shield, H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) on a damp cloth will get them right off. The H2O2 dissolves the material the bugs are made of right now so they can be washed off. Works great for baked on ones.

Purple Power (TSC) Aiken Chemical Company
Simple Green (Wally World)
Compressed air to blow dry.
Honda Pro Polish (Honda Shop)
Wife's bath towel (I could be sleeping in the garage tonight)

Additions or comments welcome.

Last edited:
I use Maguire's Car wash soap... it leaves no residue when you rinse it and blow dry with compressed air... but is expensive.

I'm going to try the hydrogen peroxide trick... I've never heard of that and boy, do I have bugs... Thanks Flip!!

H2o2

Tom:

The stuff you buy in the bottle in the store is fine. Just put some on a clean towel to dampen it and then apply to the bugs and windshield or faceshield. Let it soak in a bit and either wash off or wipe off. It dissolves their skeletons or something like that. BanjoBart knows.

Our bugs are about done for here. It's been in the high to mid thirties at night so their numbers are way down. Except for the yellowjackets. It's Custers Last Stand for them and they are nasty.

Good topic.:) I wrote this a couple months ago on another motorcycle forum:

As far as polishing goes, I've ordered this product. The review and testimony's are too choice to pass up. This product is now Honda's official polishing product which says something. Contains a proprietary compound called "GlassPlexin" which claims to literally bond with the paint. I had to buy it. ....i can't help myself..... I'll let you know the results. Works on just about all surfaces including plexiglass.
Update: Very pleased with this stuff. Best I've used.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/glare-polish/glare-polish.htm

As long as were talking about cleaning stuff.....

The key to washing anything painted is to use things mild enough to leave the wax and polish intact. Most automotive wash products do this, but read the label anyway. Always use a non abrasive cotton cloth or mit and always keep it drenched so you limit scratching paint, plastic, and chrome. Do not rub the cloth on the bike real hard either, for same reason. You can't re-rinse the cloth often enough. Of course wash in a shady spot to limit water spots.

I'm always on the lookout for the new and innovative. So when I read the review of this biodegradable product I had to order some. It's supposed to just melt away road grime while not harming the bike's finishes and appears to be the best stuff these guys ever used. I will let you all know the results. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/metal-master/britemax-grime-out.htm
Update: This stuff does melt away the grime on the back wheels. Very pleased. A little goes a long way. I let it sit for a few and rinsed. I did not see any residual grime. Happy. happy!!

thanks hondax, being the addicted, nothing is to good for my r3 shopper, i have ordered the products and a new one called spyder removal (for those little swirls in the paint). can't wait to shine the beast up. that seems like a great review site. wonder if they'll test tts's supercharger for me ?
tg

travelguy said:
thanks hondax, being the addicted, nothing is to good for my r3 shopper, i have ordered the products and a new one called spyder removal (for those little swirls in the paint). can't wait to shine the beast up. that seems like a great review site. wonder if they'll test tts's supercharger for me ?
tg

Glad to be of service! ;)

That Honda polish is the best thing I have found for cleaning bugs and road grime off my jacket, gloves, boots and helmet, too!

It is one stop shopping.

BanjoBart said:
That Honda polish is the best thing I have found for cleaning bugs and road grime off my jacket, gloves, boots and helmet, too!

It is one stop shopping.

Totally agree. I'm not sure how available this stuff is, but if you call your local Honda dealer the name of the product is "Honda Glare Professional Polish". Look for the word "Glassplexin" on the label.

This stuff is getting noticed industry wide and now with the automotive sector. Shop around for the best price as this stuff ain't cheap. Others are selling this stuff under their own label, so price will vary widely.

Mane and Tail Shampoo

I tried this and was amazed at the grease cutting capabilities. Mane and Tail Shampoo, presumably for horses though I've used it in the shower myself, cut the road grimp and grease off the engine and wheels in a heart beat. And no residue after rinsing. I've seen it overpriced at the Seed and Feed stores but buy it at Wally World.

I tried this and was amazed at the grease cutting capabilities. Mane and Tail Shampoo, presumably for horses though I've used it in the shower myself, cut the road grimp and grease off the engine and wheels in a heart beat. And no residue after rinsing. I've seen it overpriced at the Seed and Feed stores but buy it at Wally World.

My wife uses a lot of that stuff on her 7 Percheron Mares. She gets it from K.V. Vet Supply. I think it's www.kvvet.com . She says KV is cheaper that Wally World.

Back