Cleaning chemicals and the R3

I got the Honda GPP (GlassPlexin stuff) and I'm amazed. The seat rubs on the tail of the gass tank causing a burnishing of the paint in the shape of a half moon. I've used a couple products, NuFinish and Kit Carnuaba Wax, that were ineffective at restoring the lustre. Then I applied Honda Glare PP. Now thats $129 for an oil filter,..., $27 for 12oz of polish. I know I need my head examined. Anyway the Honda Glare P Polish totally removed the burnished appearance and eliminated a very light belt buckle scratch on the tank top side. I doubt it'll fill in dents. Also, I had nearly a full tank of gas and raised the tank to adjust the throttle. Unbeknownst to me, while I was laboring on the adjustment, fuel was seeping out of the filler cap and across the just applied GPP. There was absolutely no degredation to the shine. Now if it will hold up to such for another 5 years, as advertised, I'll be a believer and convert to or take on another religion. Church of the ??? I promise you, literal bible (small "b") thumpers, I won't be waiting 5 years before I wax 'er up again. Now if I could only find the oil drain plug.:confused:

I've read a number of testimonals about the glass plexin stuff. I'll have to try it. I've always used 3M Fill & Glaze but it's a jobber item not available in retail stores and it only comes in quarts.

I'll get the filter (after) your first article test. I like the ribbing. Reminds me of the blue condoms in the coin operated dispenser in the truck stop.:D

GlassPlex

Good topic.:) I wrote this a couple months ago on another motorcycle forum:

As far as polishing goes, I've ordered this product. The review and testimony's are too choice to pass up. This product is now Honda's official polishing product which says something. Contains a proprietary compound called "GlassPlexin" which claims to literally bond with the paint. I had to buy it. ....i can't help myself..... I'll let you know the results. Works on just about all surfaces including plexiglass.
Update: Very pleased with this stuff. Best I've used.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/glare-polish/glare-polish.htm

As long as were talking about cleaning stuff.....

The key to washing anything painted is to use things mild enough to leave the wax and polish intact. Most automotive wash products do this, but read the label anyway. Always use a non abrasive cotton cloth or mit and always keep it drenched so you limit scratching paint, plastic, and chrome. Do not rub the cloth on the bike real hard either, for same reason. You can't re-rinse the cloth often enough. Of course wash in a shady spot to limit water spots.

I'm always on the lookout for the new and innovative. So when I read the review of this biodegradable product I had to order some. It's supposed to just melt away road grime while not harming the bike's finishes and appears to be the best stuff these guys ever used. I will let you all know the results. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/metal-master/britemax-grime-out.htm
Update: This stuff does melt away the grime on the back wheels. Very pleased. A little goes a long way. I let it sit for a few and rinsed. I did not see any residual grime. Happy. happy!!

Honda Glare Professional Polish - cost me $26 over the counter.

Awesome in my opinion!! We'll see if I can hold off applying more, on too frequent a basis, to enable a 1/2 assed assessment of a "5-year polish".:D

But on Simple Green? I've not heard much positive about it. I've used it in the past, briefly. I'm not a tree hugger and I'm not fully informed; but, I've heard environmental issues with it. I have found the cheap wally-world stimulation of "Oxy-Clean" added in good measure to my main and tail soap wash has proven successful.:) I'm still waiting to get 'er up on my new Sears lift to do a final cosmoline scrub-off. A dealer isssue:mad:

And unless someone tells me of any damage: I'll use mineral spirits on the underside <no tree hugger, followed up with the oxy-main and tail wash.

Last edited:
Mineral wells....

I believe you have some rubber grommets and seals down there that might swell on contact with mineral spirits but it will make your black (if you have black) engine glisten.

I used to be a kerosene washer like the fireman were but Kero attracts dust and you can't get it all off no matter how hard you try. I suspect the same holds true for mineral spirits which is a better paint thinner and tar remover than a general wash.

Try the Purple Power. It's available online from Aiken Chemical Co. or at TSC. Works really good on road crud, especially underneath. I even wash the farm tractors with it. It's pretty cheap at 8 bucks a gallon. Like I said before, H2O2 Hydrogen Peroxide from the drug store is by far the best solution to remove bugs from painted surfaced and your windshiels. Just moisten a towel with it, daub it on, wait a minute and hose it off, bugs and all.

Polish

I use Maguires NXT synthetic car wax and it works great. You can see the luster come out.
But what is a good way to get burned rubber of pipes with out scratching them.:mad:

Hey

Her3tic, either Kawasaki or Polaris has an engine cleaner a friend swears buy. We have that red TX mud down here and it bakes on out 4-wheelers and doe's not come off but he say's he just sprays it on and you can see the crud run off then hose it down. I'll try and get the name of it.

I use Maguires NXT synthetic car wax and it works great. You can see the luster come out.
But what is a good way to get burned rubber of pipes with out scratching them.:mad:

You tell me and we will both know:D My wife cooked the heel of her boot on my pipe this summer. I have a "tat" on the pipe I can't get off......a birthmark.:p

I use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles foaming bathroom cleaner on the bottom of the Rocket and in the engine compartments of my cars. All you have to do is spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off. Be mindful that it douches the drive or whatever surface you do it over, with grease and dirt.

Be Careful

I use just a straight edge razor blade on cold pipes and most of the hard stuff will come off. Finish with chrome polish and good as new. My shoe also cooks on the old Bonney pipe next to the shifter and that system works for me. BE REAL CAREFUL WHEN SCRAPING THE RUBBER!!!!!!!!

Back