Cleaning chemicals and the R3

I use just a straight edge razor blade on cold pipes and most of the hard stuff will come off. Finish with chrome polish and good as new. My shoe also cooks on the old Bonney pipe next to the shifter and that system works for me. BE REAL CAREFUL WHEN SCRAPING THE RUBBER!!!!!!!!

It seems over time, the melted shoe sole would wear off, kind of like cooking juices do after running an oven on "self clean".

Acetone should dissolve the burned shoe sole and leave the chrome alone but I can't swear to it.

Not all nail polisher removers are created equal. Many of the product these daze don't contain acetone. Acetone isn't going to hurt cold chrome. Go with the straight edge razor on cold pipes to get the majority off followed by acetone, a water rinse, and then chrome polish. Dun-didit, got a T-shirt:flame:

Anyone tried oven cleaner.Just don't leave it on over night.

"Easy on Easy-off". If the acetone don't work, I'll try easy-off. I have some of that real nasty Aviation Strpper in the shop too. It looks like light brown gravy, smells like, well, stinks and makes short work over any coating I've put it on including catalyised urethanes. It's rubber glove stuff. I got some on my forearm once and I got a heck of a blister from it. Matter of fact, the hair never grew back in that spot.

I wonder if it will remove "tats"....:D

Somewhere along the line, I'm gonna nail it

I saw a cool product a couple years ago that was like a mini stick deoderant. It contained a very fine abrasive that did not hurt the chrome I took of cooked on bugs & Tour de Sole from pipes etc. It was in a booth at a bike event the moron wouldn't sell the product there cause he was protecting his Local Dealer. Ticked me off so I swore not to buy it, sometimes I do these stupid things! I Know I have seen it online somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. At that time I was about six bucks. It was pure white and it was used like an eraser. If you run across it somewhere, I think you will like it. I rubbed on a piece of chrome and could not damage the finish. Heel marks still took some elbow grease but you could see results pronto.:)

Those "erasers" work great on things like painted drywall, they might do the trick on fabrics and leather also. Mr. Clean has really stepped up the quality and usefullness of its products.

Back