Checking throttle body sync with Tuneboy?

vonbonds

Supercharged
Does the Tuneboy show you if your throttle bodies are in sync or not? I know you adjust it mechanically but I was wondering if the Tuneboy Diagnostic program provides this feature. It looks like it does but I want to make sure I don't need a Morgan Carbtune or some other tool like it.

Off the top of my head yes, the sensor screen has #1, #2 and #3. It might be worth emailing Wayne from Tuneboy just to verify as it is not mentioned in any of the manuals.

Going from memory... the way its done by Triumph is to hook up the scanner and it reads the map sensor for each throttle body, you basically get a voltage reading.

What you could do at home is go out and ride your bike to get it warm, once back in the garage hook your voltmeter up to the map sensor. I do believe one wire is a 5 volt feed and the other is the output you want. Pinch off the hoses to cylinders two and three and the volt reading would be for cylinder one. Do this for cylinders two and three. The voltage should be pretty close to being the same. (The bike has to be running during these tests). If you have one that is way out of wack it could misadjusted or possibly the throttle body has a vacuum leak or the hose is damaged or leaking.

I had mine tested by Don at Baxter's and it was almost perfectly spot on, we didn't even mess with it.

Now that I typed all of that... whats the problem that you want to check your sync?? :D

So there you have it, you should be able to check them with TuneBoy. What I can't remember is how the MAP sensor discerned what throttle body it was looking at when Don used the scanner. I don't recall him clamping off vacuum lines but then again I don't remember shutting the cat in the hallway closet this morning....

It is the tests screen in tuneboy. The service manual says you can adjust them if they are in a certain range with the diagnositic tool. I would still email Wayne from tuneboy and ask him.

Crossing this thread made me curious. I fired up my tuneboy diagnostic program and #1 and #2 run the exact same MAP value (approx. 790 or so) and #3 is about 20 or so less, no matter how much #1 and #2 fluctuate. How far off can these be from each other before they are considered "out of synch"? The manual only says to hook up the Triumph "black box" and adjust until it says "balanced".

If anyone has any ideas, it would be great to hear them. I now have over 500 miles and will need to take the R3 in for its breaking service. I'll ask them to check the synch. Maybe they can shed some light?

Thanks all.

Steve

Back