CES Pipe VS Carpenter For Sound

Old N' Grumpy

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Triumph R3R & 2005 Harley FatBoy
I have looked without success for a sound clip for the CES exhaust but to no avail. Any Captains out there heard them both? I know its subjective but tell me anyway which one you thought sounded better and why.

Carp is deep and loud, no wait LOUD. They sound like what they are, open pipes. Ever heard a subaru with no cat no muffler no reasonator? That deep burble, kind of boat like sound, that's what carps give.

CES sound a pitch higher, but still deeper than any other multi-cylinder bike (aside from maybe the crossplane R1 or RSV-4 when at low RPM). It's quiet when your tooling around (still louder than stock), and its loud when you're on it. I can turn and talk to my passenger in half helmets at a normal conversation voice at 30mph in 2nd or 3rd gear with CES.

Best type of way to describe it I can think of is:
Carp - Long tube + no cat + no muffler on a vette - Sound super angry, nasty, mean, rages on your ear and sounds like a race car
CES - Long Tube + with cat + muffer on a vette - Sounds pissed off but under control, clearly not stock, but doesn't sound like it wants to rip your head off and kill your family.

I like BOTH sounds, but CES are vastly more acceptable to the general public. They have enough bark when you blip the throttle that any car near you WILL hear you, no question about that, but not so loud at low opening steady throttle that everyone around you will look to see what that really loud strange noise is.

Jardine's and CES are about identical in volume of the exhaust, but the tone is quite different, Jardines are deeeeep if that helps you at all.

CES Clips coming shortly in video format, listen to what you can hear besides the pipes: Shifting, intake sounds, valve train, etc, you can still hear your bike clearly:

Tooling around with CES:

2,3,bit of 4th gears WOT CES:

Carpenter, you can hear how raw it sounds well in this video, and the exhaust sound drowns all other sounds out, not sayings its bad, its just way louder:

For reference, a video with really similar audio sensitivity to my clips same POV @11:24 he actually starts using some power and you can hear the difference compared to my 2nd vid:

I tried to find the only clip I knew of from my POV on a carpenter Brute equipped bike, but the owner has taken the video down, so no apples to apples comparison sadly.

Last edited:
Carp is deep and loud, no wait LOUD. They sound like what they are, open pipes. Ever heard a subaru with no cat no muffler no reasonator? That deep burble, kind of boat like sound, that's what carps give.

CES sound a pitch higher, but still deeper than any other multi-cylinder bike (aside from maybe the crossplane R1 or RSV-4 when at low RPM). It's quiet when your tooling around (still louder than stock), and its loud when you're on it. I can turn and talk to my passenger in half helmets at a normal conversation voice at 30mph in 2nd or 3rd gear with CES.

Best type of way to describe it I can think of is:
Carp - Long tube + no cat + no muffler on a vette - Sound super angry, nasty, mean, rages on your ear and sounds like a race car
CES - Long Tube + with cat + muffer on a vette - Sounds pissed off but under control, clearly not stock, but doesn't sound like it wants to rip your head off and kill your family.

I like BOTH sounds, but CES are vastly more acceptable to the general public. They have enough bark when you blip the throttle that any car near you WILL hear you, no question about that, but not so loud at low opening steady throttle that everyone around you will look to see what that really loud strange noise is.

Jardine's and CES are about identical in volume of the exhaust, but the tone is quite different, Jardines are deeeeep if that helps you at all.

CES Clips coming shortly in video format, listen to what you can hear besides the pipes: Shifting, intake sounds, valve train, etc, you can still hear your bike clearly:

Tooling around with CES:

2,3,bit of 4th gears WOT CES:

Carpenter, you can hear how raw it sounds well in this video, and the exhaust sound drowns all other sounds out, not sayings its bad, its just way louder:

For reference, a video with really similar audio sensitivity to my clips same POV @11:24 he actually starts using some power and you can hear the difference compared to my 2nd vid:

I tried to find the only clip I knew of from my POV on a carpenter Brute equipped bike, but the owner has taken the video down, so no apples to apples comparison sadly.
I have the BRUTE pipe with no baffle and I have never got a ticket or any noise complaints and it doesnt bother me as I love the open pipes and its not as loud or obnoxious like the HARLEY open pipes those things are irritating and I have tested with a baffle if you want quiet it still runs great just quieter but I like the open pipe sounds great

Last edited:
@Claviger...thank you for the great:thumbsup: response! It helped me a lot. I think that the Carp pipe just a little toned down would be the best of both worlds. Otherwise its earplugs all the time with those badboys and possibly a ticket.:D You gotta love that sound tho...so hotrod. Your vette analogy described them perfect. Thanks again.

Concerning tickets, it all depends where you live, the local law, and what they hear you doing. I am sure, in some states I'd get a ticket with CES if a cop heard me WOT running through gears, I am 100% positive, some states CARP pipes would get you ticketed, but generally bikers get away with a lot regarding exhaust noise, thankfully.

In Germany for example, both pipes would get a fail at annual inspections guaranteed.

"I like BOTH sounds, but CES are vastly more acceptable to the general public. They have enough bark when you blip the throttle that any car near you WILL hear you, no question about that, but not so loud at low opening steady throttle that everyone around you will look to see what that really loud strange noise is."
Great description, @Claviger

I have ridden with @alpental and his brutes are deeper and LOUDER than my CES.
To me, his sounds like an open pipe even though he says there are baffles.
My CES is less harsh and more Ferrari sounding.

@Claviger...thank you for the great:thumbsup: response! It helped me a lot. I think that the Carp pipe just a little toned down would be the best of both worlds. Otherwise its earplugs all the time with those badboys and possibly a ticket.:D You gotta love that sound tho...so hotrod. Your vette analogy described them perfect. Thanks again.
I called Carpenter awhile back and asked about baffling. They (Art?) told me some folks are using the Brocks' "Street Meg" baffle. Called Brocks and was quoted a little over a $100 for the baffle and end plate. They sound pretty good on the smaller displacement bikes (check YouTube), so should sound even deeper in tone on the Rocket. Brocks also sells a DB reducer which tones it down further for riding with others.

I called Carpenter awhile back and asked about baffling. They (Art?) told me some folks are using the Brocks' "Street Meg" baffle. Called Brocks and was quoted a little over a $100 for the baffle and end plate. They sound pretty good on the smaller displacement bikes (check YouTube), so should sound even deeper in tone on the Rocket. Brocks also sells a DB reducer which tones it down further for riding with others.

Nice!...I did not know that...thank you!:)

IMHO - The Carp Brutes are fine and perhaps provide a little more HP on a stock engine than CES; however, the CES are better built, fitting and looking. :thumbsup:
In my humble opinion! :D

Last edited:
New Video, similar to the carp video above so you can catch the same perspective at least for the sound. The highest RPM is 6500 and the steady hold after is at 2500, increasing to 3500 after a sec:

Back