Center stand question.

Wasn't there a discussion a few months ago about how the center stands rivco (or someone) was selling wouldn't even fit correctly on the bike it was made for? (R3)
I decided against getting one back then due to the horror stories about having to cut and drill an expensive part just to get it to fit. In fact there were a couple guys trying to sell the ones they had just purchased because of the problems with it.
Were there improvements made while I wasn't looking? lol

Heck, I bet I could make a prettier one anyway!

If you do, maybe you would share it with us so we could all benefit. I'll keep mine under wraps until there is a need.

I was only thinking out loud anyway.

See ya.

Wasn't there a discussion a few months ago about how the center stands rivco (or someone) was selling wouldn't even fit correctly on the bike it was made for? (R3)
I decided against getting one back then due to the horror stories about having to cut and drill an expensive part just to get it to fit. In fact there were a couple guys trying to sell the ones they had just purchased because of the problems with it.
Were there improvements made while I wasn't looking? lol

I had one of the Rivco stands on order for months before it came out. Before drilling and cutting the bike apart, it was obvious that it wasn't going to fit without grinding the crap out of the stand mounting. So I returned it.

The design I came up with (and will be sharing with Flipper) has built in leniency for varying frame widths. The first design I came up with (and use often), is a single piece weldment that leaves the "drive handle" in the way of walking round the bike and laying beside her on the left (kickstand) side. I also made it specifically for my Rocket by measuring the distance between the "culprit" frame lugs.

I wanted to come up with something that is fairly simple, practical and easy to store. My "weldment" style centerstand is clumsy to find a storage place for, but I really appreciate the use I get from it. Clean access to the entire bottom of the Rocket. ;)

See ya.

Last edited:
RE: Centerstand Question...

I wonder if the guys at Rivco would 'build one to your bike' if you were to send them the spacing measurement between the lugs??
I've never owned a bike without a centerstand, and am in the habit of putting the bike on the centerstand almost every time I stop. I would use it for stuff like checking the oil, cleaning the bike, and maintenance. I do not have a garage, she sits in a carport here at my apartment complex (and management has turned 'thumbs down' when I approached them with the idea of welding in an I-beam so I could install a trolley hoist!):D:roll:

Kick the Tires, Light the Fires, and HANG ON!!:eek:
Hank in Albuq.
'05 R3 Std 'with some mods'

I wonder if the guys at Rivco would 'build one to your bike' if you were to send them the spacing measurement between the lugs??
I've never owned a bike without a centerstand, and am in the habit of putting the bike on the centerstand almost every time I stop. I would use it for stuff like checking the oil, cleaning the bike, and maintenance. I do not have a garage, she sits in a carport here at my apartment complex (and management has turned 'thumbs down' when I approached them with the idea of welding in an I-beam so I could install a trolley hoist!):D:roll:

Hank in Albuq.
'05 R3 Std 'with some mods'

They already do. Problem is, it don't fit about half the bikes it's intended for because they didn't allow for the manufacturing tolerance, that is, the variance in spacing between the lugs. Lets distill the scenario some more. Rivco makes a centertstand. It's very expensive, it isn't a bolt on fit on at least half the bikes it was made for without getting the right angle grinder out and grinding away on the lugs and/or the centerstand. Rivco seems to bat 1000 on fit. I've read varoius posts by as many different posters complaining about everything from Rivco handle bar risers to tip over bars and on the tip over bar scenario. I have a set of Rivco's and they needed serious work with a die grinder to get them to align with the bottom holes that the footboard rails mount to. I gave 'em one shot.

That's the one reason I don't carry their stuff and I won't. if I have to fiddle fu*k around with another manufacturers parts to get them to fit on my own personal Rocket, I certainly don't want to represent that company and offer their parts and have pissed off customers. That's not what I'm about. Never was, never will be.

My stuff fits and if it don't, I buy it back, no questions asked. I know it fits, it's on my Rocket too.

I have my R3 hanging from an overhead hoist in the shop right now. I'd loan you mine, but I'm here in Michigan and that's a pretty far drive for an oil change.

RE: Fitment

Flip, thanks for the 'heads up'. I wasn't aware that this company had such a problem with fitment. Guess I'll have the dealer do my oil changes until you and Rusty collaborate on your product. I've only owned 'the Beast' a couple of months, and am abit short of cash anyway. Thanks for your help!!

Hank in Albuq.
'05 R3 std with 'a few mods':)

Back