Center stand question.

Tazshido

.040 Over
In an undisclosed location in the Middle East.
I'm going to be buying a touring model when I return to the US. I would really like a center stand (because I'm not used to NOT having one) and I have not been able to find one for the touring model. I found this one,
Rocket III Centerstand Not Touring Model
But the site says it is not for the R3T. What I want to know is why not?:confused: Will the touring pipes be in the way? I thought that the engines were (outwardly) identical. Don't these things bolt onto the bottom of the engine? Any help on this would be appreciated.

RE:Centerstand

Actually, no...They bolt on to some mounts on the frame to the rear of the engine. The frame on the R3T is different from the std/classic frame, and the distance between those mounts on the R3T (if they are even there) is probably different. There is the question of the pipes, too...They're lower on the R3T. That, as I understand it, is why it will not work. On the other hand, "Modification is the Spice of Life", and if you're handy at metalworking (and good with a welder), you could probably make it work. I'm like you, I've never owned a bike that didn't have a centerstand, and intend to purchase one for my R3 std. Good Luck!!

Kick the Tires, Light the Fires, and HANG ON!!!:eek:
Hank In Albuq.
'05 R3 std.with 'some mods'

Problem is (I have a poll runing on site now), is that the lug spacing on various frames differ. The inside to inside dimension varies due to production tolerances and the maker of the centerstand that's available (and I might add at an exhorbinant price) won't fit every lug spacing because the bike they used for the prototype wasn't representative of the production tolerance and, it's obvious that they only used one bike instead of a number of bikes (that would have alerted them to the variance).

Having said that, I'm working on a jack-aid of sorts that will allow you to lift the bike with a scissors jack without putting undue pressure on the sump plate and allowing a complete lift of both wheels with access to the sump plugs (3) and a level motorcycle so that oil changes and/or cleaning of the underside can be easily accomplished.

FYI, An Motorcycle/ATV jack such as: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?partNumber=00950190000P&storeId=10153&catalogId=12605 is not the simplest answer but rather inexpensive nonetheless. It certainly doesn't enable easy underside cleasning nor oil changing. I prop the beast up with the kick stand on a 2x4 block for oil changing.

I have to roll my R3 up on an old brake disk (elevating the front end by nearly an inch) before the Sears jack will roll under the FBG.

Centerstand poll

The poll for the width of the lugs on "your" specific bike, is on the home page, left column.

I'd like to know what Captains are going to be using the centerstand for?

1. Servicing & cleaning the bike.
2. Wanting to be able to place the bike on centerstand in any parking spot (becomes a part of the bike).
3. Just wanting a place to sit comfortably on an "erect bike" during a rainy day to have a beer & dream.

In other words, are most Captains wanting a centerstand that can stay at home in the shop until it's next need? I have a design I'm wanting Flip to consider for production. If Flip feels there is potential (He is the entrepreneur for this site), we'll share it with everyone if there is enough interest.

American ingenuity at work. Keep it up Rusty and Flip! Guys like you are the only salvation for our downardly spiraling nation.

I'd like to know what Captains are going to be using the centerstand for?

1. Servicing & cleaning the bike.
2. Wanting to be able to place the bike on centerstand in any parking spot (becomes a part of the bike).
3. Just wanting a place to sit comfortably on an "erect bike" during a rainy day to have a beer & dream.

All of the above actually. If I only needed to get the bike level and on a stand in the garage, I would do what I have done with my last three bikes. I modified each of them so that a set of racing paddock stands will work. They are made mostly for sport bikes but it's real easy to mod your bike (or the stands) so that they work. At less than $200 USD a set they are much cheaper too. I have also used an electric winch mounted on a rafter beam of the garage and pulled bikes up completely off the ground to work without having to hurt my back. (works pretty good for getting bikes in trucks too).
Manufacturers aren't excluding center stands because the customer doesn't want them, but to save money and production time and simplify design. Also, it helps to make the tire dealers more money as it's harder for the customer to remove the wheel for tire replacement.
I am a pretty good welder and I have a mom & pop welding shop in my home town that will do ANYTHING! A little redneck sometimes but the've been fantastic to me, turning out pieces for me that no one else would touch. I guess maybe I'll measure it out and fab my own. Heck, I bet I could make a prettier one anyway!

Back