Cat Box Innards

Cat

So it's like this. Take it off, take it to a friendly muff shop, have them copy the pattern minus the box. Or, somebody makes a 3 into one and your done. Hopefully they have tunes for these mods. Does this make sense ? I'm trying to decide what to do with my 08 r3t. Thanks kbc23

Emissions testing:eek:, surely not in the South, perhaps California, Massachusets, Oregon, Washington, District of Columbia, or other tree hugger domains. What next, no BBQ grills. Can secession from the Union be far behind that option?:D Anyone have plans to market "cat boxes" for meat smokers?:mad:

Even CA has bumped back their 2010 plans to test emissions on bikes. No one makes an emissions dyno for bikes quite yet.

As for doing this in the Deep South... no time soon. But the EPA is already talking about doling out hefty fines (up to $35K per incident) for shops removing catalytic converters. CA has had EPA inspectors spot checking shops for several years.

The 2010 emissions laws for bikes still allow a bike owner to modify the emissions equipment on a single bike they own. As to how this will be regulated and enforced are anyone's guess.

There is a good bit of info available about the 2010 emission regulations and bikes.

Even CA has bumped back their 2010 plans to test emissions on bikes. No one makes an emissions dyno for bikes quite yet.

As for doing this in the Deep South... no time soon. But the EPA is already talking about doling out hefty fines (up to $35K per incident) for shops removing catalytic converters. CA has had EPA inspectors spot checking shops for several years.

The 2010 emissions laws for bikes still allow a bike owner to modify the emissions equipment on a single bike they own. As to how this will be regulated and enforced are anyone's guess.

There is a good bit of info available about the 2010 emission regulations and bikes.

I think what's happening is the gummit is wanting to regulate emissions on motorcycles, consequently, factory bikes come with mandated emissions components but the gummit has nothing in place to regulate what an owner does to modify those systems after he acquires the motorcycle.

Knowing how the government works, I'd say its pretty safe to assume that at some point in time, there will be some type of mandated requirements and the technology will advance to the point where there is an accepted method and equipment for testing emissions qualifications. on a pass/fai basis.

Now, if the government has testing and mandates in place at some point, how will that effect your bike? That is the 64 dollar question. If it was me, I'd hang on to everything so if and when the time comes, you can revert and still have a rideable motorcycle but that's only if the regulations (that aren't even in place yet or for that matter drawn up) are retroactive. My take is better safe than sorry.

Look at it this way. Aftermarket auto parts suppliers don't sell replacement catalytic convertors for kicks and grins. People took them off and now they can't get certified (in areas with mandatory testing).

That brings up another point and that is mandatory certification. I look at Obama and his 'green inititative'. Look at that and you can see nationwide certification instead of just urban certification in the near future. better safe than sorry.

Back