Cat Box Innards

Unless the bike is a Caif. Model The cat box just has a serise of baffles in it. I cut the bottom off and cleaned them out and welded back together. I used a plasma cutter to clean and a cut off wheel to open box

I think in '06 they all had catalysts in them. There is a letter stamped on them to designate whether it is empty or not, but I can't remember what it is.

Any of the "real" catalyst containing cats (say that fast three times) have the platinum coated honeycomb. Thats not really so much where the back pressure comes from, most of the exhaust flow restriction comes from just not having a smooth airflow. All the twists, turns, bumps and odd angles are what you're trying to eliminate when improving on factory exhaust, so going through the trouble of cutting open and busting up the guts won't get you much at all. The cat is worth much more intact like he said, sitting on a shelf awaiting the time if and when the state makes you put it back on. I haven't seen the inside of a rocket cat but I'm VERY familiar with whats going on inside automobile cats here in the US. Unless they are plugged up with carbon, lead or debris they all flow quite well nowdays compared to 20yrs ago.

why do we as riders have to follow the standards when it is so easy to not, do we as riders have to be subjected to a cat box as we produce less than cars. must we be forced to pay extra to remove the cat from the bike when we don't even want the blasted cat on the bike to begin with.

Good point Rooster, But then again bikes have always been the center of these debates as the stigma has not changed much.

mutt

someone on .com cut open the cat a good while ago. good pics. explains why it weighs about the same as a boat anchor!!! terrible flow !! if any???? a maize.

Honestly I've no idea. I've heard of muffs/silencers being gutted but getting the stink out of a cat-box??

Gas emissions testing could be right around the corner everywhere. Having a fully infested fur ball stricken cat-box sitting on the shelf, could be an act of self-preservation. A citation could be in your future. Having the full cat-box reinstalled, pre-court appearance, could be a big savings.

The word I got was, "...I wouldn't screw with it", nationwide enforcement is on the horizon. I keep the box ready for remount. In the out-back areas, where some semblance of freedom still exists, this may be decades away.:D

Emissions testing:eek:, surely not in the South, perhaps California, Massachusets, Oregon, Washington, District of Columbia, or other tree hugger domains. What next, no BBQ grills. Can secession from the Union be far behind that option?:D Anyone have plans to market "cat boxes" for meat smokers?:mad:

I was shopping for a new mower little while ago, seems outboard motors, mowers and soon small engines like chainsaws, trimmers and the like will all have to be cat equiped some way or another. Never mind that stock yards are the biggest green house gas emmiters, the carbon dioxide and methane produced there is staggering. When will the cats be manditory for cows?:rolleyes:

I was shopping for a new mower little while ago, seems outboard motors, mowers and soon small engines like chainsaws, trimmers and the like will all have to be cat equiped some way or another. Never mind that stock yards are the biggest green house gas emmiters, the carbon dioxide and methane produced there is staggering. When will the cats be manditory for cows?:rolleyes:

I am going green. That's why I try and eat as many cows as I can.

Back