Can not believe it

So, I have my Chevy diesel in the Pacific Northwest in 1998. Needs oil change, I don't like to go past intervals, always did it myself.

Head to "Oil Can Henry's" on the coast for a change.

These guys call out everything they do. Two man "teams".

"Checking oil on dipstick!" His bud calls back..."Checking oil on dipstick!" Confirming his action.

"Draining old oil!" The drone replies in confirmation.

"Replacing oil plug." "Replacing oil plug!" Confirms the attentive drone.

"Putting in 7 quarts of Shell Rotella T 15-40."

Drone confirms again. "Checking oil" says drone #1. Drone confirms.

"Oil low!"

Drone puts in 3-4 more quarts, while I watch this sitting in the cab. I mention the 6.5 diesel takes 7 quarts.

Without the queen, the drones struggle to figure. Another quart goes in. Drone two now notices oil draining from the drain hole. Plug never replaced.

He actually tells me I got a free oil flush. I pay, drive next door to a market, check oil level and for leaks.

I hate having others touch my stuff. And I've seen worse than this.

The problem here in the US is that the youth of this country are being told since the day they come outa the womb that when they grow up if they don't go to and graduate from college then they are worthless to society.
Kids don't aspire to get technical training anymore, so all the old timers left in shops are retiring leaving nothing but a bunch of taco stuffers (maybe a bad term. I like tacos!) to try to "fix things" they know nothing about.
So sad.
But at least all the college kids get to learn about safe places :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
In "The Trades" there are very very few young Americans entering what we do anymore. Greed drives the profit minded who in turn are shutting down apprenticeship programs and they depend on old guys to run crews of migrant labor and maximize their profitability while quality is on the decline. Not a good thing in the electrical trade. My nephew graduated from a prestigious university with degrees and now works at an electronics superstore and can't change his own oil. As a nation, we are doomed.

Last edited:
In "The Trades" there are very very few young Americans entering what we do anymore. Greed drives the profit minded who in turn are shutting down apprenticeship programs and they depend on old guys to run crews of migrant labor and maximize their profitability while quality is on the decline. Not a good thing in the electrical trade. My nephew graduated from a prestigious university with degrees and now works at an electronics superstore and can't change his own oil. As a nation, we are doomed.

:(Zackly :evil:

I took my privately bought rear Exedra tyre to my local dealer and they removed the wheel, lubed the splines, fitted and replaced for US$34 including 10% GST :D
The world still smiles on some of us! :D:roll::roll::roll:

Good find, Ish! :thumbsup:

From my perspective, mistakes are excusable, especially if they're "owned up too". But you first have to give them that chance. No body wants to be accused of knowingly screwing something up and trying to hide it.

As a punk 15 year old back in the 60's, I got to be a grease monkey at a Sunoco station and I was really proud of my ability to get that job and learn. Typical 3 bay garage with small waiting room, desk, big bulky credit card machine and cash register. This was back before self-service, and every time a car came in and tripped the bell you'd run out and do the whole full service thing. Windshield, check oil and washer fluid, and fill-er-up. After some time on the job I got "checked out" on oil changes and grease jobs in bay #1 but still had to answer the bell in between and sometimes around rush hour traffic it could take an hour to complete the oil change. Bay's #2 and #3 were where the real mechanics worked.

One day I was so excited that my boss and the owner, Leonard, was out on an errand and a guy came in with a 67 Vet stingray with a 427 and wanted an oil change! OH BOY! I'm doing some stuff now! I was extremely careful getting it up on the lift and got the plug out and then the traffic hit. I was running like the proverbial "monkey handling a football" My boss came back after a while and saw I had a Vet in bay #1 and said, "what are you doing"? I said "changin the oil, but man these new Vets sure take a lot of oil don't they" His eyes got huge! "Like, how much"? I said, "well I've put 13 quarts in her and it's not on the dipstick yet":eek: I was so busy I never got around the other side of the Vet to see the floor of bay #2 and#3 completely covered in 30w oil.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Leonard was a great guy and boss and just shook his head and chuckled. I spent the rest of that night cleaning my mess but I ended up a pretty darn good mechanic and machinist. I don't want to believe there's a difference in the kids these days. Sure they have way more distractions and privledges, but that's what our parents said about us too?

That being said, I'm pretty careful about who I let do what on my vehicles and more often than not would rather do it myself just to make sure it's right, and still I make mistakes.:thumbsup:

Back