Cam-less engines. What're your thoughts?

I'm not sure camless tech is ready to keep up with 118 cycles PER SECOND that's required at 14,200 RPM as shown in this S1000RR cutaway...
Same idea but viewed from inside cylinder looking up at the valves

Abe, those vids were impressive!
Thanks for sharing.

I for one look forward to being able to control infinite valve timing with just an ECU tweak. Less rotational mass, impossibly steep open and close profiles for a normal cam, the ability to have max torque at ALL RPM points for.idle to redline, the ability to increase compression to extreme levels and just program appropriate valve timing.

I would fully embrace this on a motor like the R3, I suspect no less than 300whp would be easily achievable with extreme low end torque.

Think about launch control, instead of tweaking timing, you just have adaptive valve timing reducing unburnt fuel, charge dilution etc.

This technology combined with direct injection will be the future of four stroke engines in my opinion. Works now at lower engine rpm and will improve but it may never replace cams for very high rpm motors.

No throttle is needed, change from 4 stroke to 5 stroke in real time, cylinder drop-out seamlessly, compression control, torque curve management, exhaust gas recirculation control, and more. What is there not to like?

Could these potentially be designed to replace heads currently on our engines today? Like could a company make one that bolts onto the Rocket? we'd have to take out the cam chain and all that.

Edelbrock could probably make it happen....it would take about 50 pounds of extra wiring though I am sure.

The Wankel has had about 80 years of possible development time. No one has solved the problem of swept surface area to displacement volume, so they run less efficient.

The Duke is interesting and a possible replacement but it doesn't have variable cam timing. It also suffers from "not invented here syndrome" so it will have a tough time making it to the major auto OEM's. With diesel on siege and being banned in some cities, the Duke might be a viable truck power plant replacement. I can't see electric 18 wheelers as viable for a long time.

Back