Cam-less engines. What're your thoughts?

I'll admit to not reading your article just yet, but... Anytime rotational mass is reduced, efficiency is increased in both power output and fuel consumption.

The basic technology has been around for quite a while. A similar solenoid system drives the keys on modern player pianos. The accuracy of the technology is quite amazing.

Keeping the system cool enough to operate is probably one of the bigger problems as electro-magnets and the plunger magnet operate differently at higher temperatures. If they can get it to work consistently and reliably then it is a definite winner, allowing as much tuning of the cam position and duration as there is for ignition timing and fuel/air mixture.

I love technology, but I'm more interested in batteries that weigh a lot less than lead acid or lithium ion and can do 400 miles between charges.

I'm not sure camless tech is ready to keep up with 118 cycles PER SECOND that's required at 14,200 RPM as shown in this S1000RR cutaway...

Same idea but viewed from inside cylinder looking up at the valves

Last edited:
Here is my concern with the cam-less motor...the sensor plates dictates to the springs which controls valve movement towards the piston. That sounds great until there is a sensor problem and you lose that spring movement. Worse case scenario....a valve coming into contact with a piston?? YIKES!! There are some advantages to manually setting the parameters but just my two cents

Back