Butterflies on the R3

devildog48

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3
So I decided to take some time to clean fuel injectors on my R3. Once torn apart I decided to clean the butterflies (the set closest to me), Pardon my lack of knowledge. I noticed that I can turn them by hand and when I pulled my hand away they stayed in position (did not return to a set point). The were rather easy to turn. Are they supposed to do that (I Assume NO)? And if not what do I need to buy to fix it?

Yes, they easily move by hand, but I wouldn’t do so unnecessary.

If you are having idle issues, balance the throttle bodies and do an ISCV reset. I’d think that would make her idle right again.

So I decided to take some time to clean fuel injectors on my R3. Once torn apart I decided to clean the butterflies (the set closest to me), Pardon my lack of knowledge. I noticed that I can turn them by hand and when I pulled my hand away they stayed in position (did not return to a set point). The were rather easy to turn. Are they supposed to do that (I Assume NO)? And if not what do I need to buy to fix it?
They operate by a servo motor..when ignition is turned on they re-set to there normal set position before start up.

Ok I was unsure as far as the movement went. I will have to take it to someone to do it as I have no computer equipment for the bike yet. Unless there is another way to do it. Thank you both for the reply!

Ok I was unsure as far as the movement went. I will have to take it to someone to do it as I have no computer equipment for the bike yet. Unless there is another way to do it. Thank you both for the reply!

It doesn't take a lot. I use a laptop running Win 7 and a cable I purchased off of ebay. Once you load TuneEcu onto the laptop you are good to go. There is also an Android app for it but I am not sure how that works.

bob

Paul took my butterflies out saying you can more response, I felt the difference with them out so I left it.
I guess the only problem your have with them out if your working on your bike and filters are off you can drop something down, so you just need to remember to stuff them so nothing drops in while working on bike.

Back