Burnt electrical connector

Think I found why the connector wiggle is required to get ignition to come on -

Burnt.jpg

I found that mine had same thing happen with the owner before me.
He just bypassed the wire around the plug. I have a replacement connector, but just have not got around to it.
Hope it goes well for you. :):):)

It's a 2008 classic so probably OEM in 2008

I can steer you towards replacement terminals/complete connector and also a relatively simple relay update- later after the warriors game :D

You will need a crimp tool though - see my recommendation in the recent thread on that

Sorry if this an already answered question someplace, I've been reading through this forum pretty much every day trying to learn all I can, as I'm new to the R3's. Has Triumph addressed the issue going forward at a certain year, or do all years tend to suffer from this? Will LED headlights help to mitigate this with the lower current draw?
Thanks,
Dean

... Has Triumph addressed the issue going forward at a certain year, or do all years tend to suffer from this? ...

Had to look up your profile and view your other posts to see what model R3 you actually have - the Suzuki in there tells us nothing about your Triumph! :p :D
Please add your model/year directly into profile so it appears under your name in the left margin.

So you have a 2012 - that does not route the headlight current through the key-switch and it will not be an issue on that model
Essentially all* Roadsters should be trouble free in this regard
*(the very first 2010 Roadsters had same scheme as the Classics, but these should have been fixed with a recall/retrofit - there may still some out there that have not been addressed)

To answer your primary question
ALL Classics have the potential for the issue;
up to 2008 used the OLD key-switch connector and generally the switch itself failed;
on 2008+ they still use the same scheme but different connector - either switch itself OR connector might fail;
Touring (2008+) only have one headlight but DO route that current through the switch - switch failures are rare, but not zero - and there have been several of these connector types failing as per the original theme of the thread; again not a high incidence of these but there have certainly been 'some'
Roadsters - early 10s MIGHT have the problem but anyone with this model range should check with dealer for recall
All late-10+ Roadsters will not have an issue with either the switch OR the connector.

High Wattage incandescents will exacerbate the problem on those models that might be affected
and conversely LEDs will reduce the likelihood of failure.

Back