Burnt electrical connector

HIM57

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
Think I found why the connector wiggle is required to get ignition to come on -

Burnt.jpg

Yep another one. Do you have the modified headlight relay ? That connector either came with the bike or was added from a update kit.

It's a 2008 classic so probably OEM in 2008

I can steer you towards replacement terminals/complete connector and also a relatively simple relay update- later after the warriors game :D

You will need a crimp tool though - see my recommendation in the recent thread on that

It's a 2008 classic so probably OEM in 2008

I can steer you towards replacement terminals/complete connector and also a relatively simple relay update- later after the warriors game :D

You will need a crimp tool though - see my recommendation in the recent thread on that
Good man - thank you

Sorry - didn't really get to computer after the game

Male connector - key-switch side 8-Way Kit

Female Connector - Main harness side - 8-Way Kit

(get the largest available terminals/seals in each case - the males are slightly undersized but will work)

You can just purchase the terminals ans imply replace those, but since the shell is burned you might want to replace that too - of course you will only need to re-terminate the burned one, for the others just remove from the shell and re-insert in the new one.
To remove the terminals, you need to first remove the orange retainer; then from the 'open' side (not the wire side) you need to gently depress the retaining latch for each terminal with a 'pick' while gently pulling on the wire as it releases. These connectors are particularly fiddly, I caution you!

As mentioned above, you will need a good quality crimp tool - and I recommend that AFTER you crimp, you also flow solder into the crimp (but always AFTER, not before!) - again, you need a good quality soldering iron and some relatively fine solder - 0.032 resin core. I would especially do that for the #1 position (white/blue), that is the highest current one and maybe also the position 4 (blue/yellow)

For a simple relay mod. see here - Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems
That will no longer direct your headlight current trough the keyswitch connector

Incidentally - hopefully you have standard bulbs in there, nothing high wattage?

If you have hard time with it, just have to ride up here to Bay Area! :D

Sorry - didn't really get to computer after the game

Male connector - key-switch side 8-Way Kit

Female Connector - Main harness side - 8-Way Kit

(get the largest available terminals/seals in each case - the males are slightly undersized but will work)

You can just purchase the terminals ans imply replace those, but since the shell is burned you might want to replace that too - of course you will only need to re-terminate the burned one, for the others just remove from the shell and re-insert in the new one.
To remove the terminals, you need to first remove the orange retainer; then from the 'open' side (not the wire side) you need to gently depress the retaining latch for each terminal with a 'pick' while gently pulling on the wire as it releases. These connectors are particularly fiddly, I caution you!

As mentioned above, you will need a good quality crimp tool - and I recommend that AFTER you crimp, you also flow solder into the crimp (but always AFTER, not before!) - again, you need a good quality soldering iron and some relatively fine solder - 0.032 resin core. I would especially do that for the #1 position (white/blue), that is the highest current one and maybe also the position 4 (blue/yellow)

For a simple relay mod. see here - Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems
That will no longer direct your headlight current trough the keyswitch connector

Incidentally - hopefully you have standard bulbs in there, nothing high wattage?

If you have hard time with it, just have to ride up here to Bay Area! :D
Thanks so much for the in depth reply- really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the in depth reply- really appreciate it.

DEcosse,

I did find the correct connector but when ordering there's a couple of questions I was uncertain of
Pin1.JPG Pin2.JPG
Pin wire size ?
Insulation size ?
Socket size?
Insulation seal size?

sorry to bug you - but really appreciate any help.

Back