Brigdgestone Excedra Max Rear tire

The Metz has a slightly softer/stickier compound than the E Max, but the E Max is just the better tire all the way around for my money and I ride almost exclusively in the hills, dales and twisties.

I must take issue. I could smoke the Metz just romping on it hard in first gear. The Max feels like gear drive. I don't think it spins at all.

I prefer the E Max over the Metz by a longshot. It's compound is formulated for longer, "extended" wear and the results for most that have switched over to it confirms that, on average, the B'stone provides 10-20% longer wear.

The Carpenter Racing team, both at their local dragstrip (Atco) where they broke into the 8 second range for the quarter mile and out at the Bonneville Salt Flats where in 2013 Jason DiSalvo set the world land speed record in the heavy cruiser class, did both on Metzelers and they had their pick of the litter for tires.

My own experience on the road jibes with Mittzy's and Rocket Scientists somewhat, except that when I've gotten down to the final 10-15% of useful tread on the E Max it was very noticeably more squirrely, breaking traction more frequently and easily, with or in the absence of braking, than the Metzeler. The same slippery or less grippy trait was keenly prominent or more noticeable with the B'stone when the road surface temps cooled with the seasons here.

Last edited:
I just pulled mine off (at the wear indicators), but I didn't have any of the slipperiness Phil experienced. Might've gotten a lucky batch though. I can say, the worst day on the bridgey was more stable than the best on the Metz (all 5000 miles of it!)
I wonder if carpenter is contractually obligated to use the Metz? Sponsors?

I must take issue. I could smoke the Metz just romping on it hard in first gear. The Max feels like gear drive. I don't think it spins at all.

Don't forget the higher profile of the Bridgestone gives slightly higher gearing making wheel spin a little harder to achieve. Just another reason for it being a better tyre. And as for mileage, the Exedra Max does much better than the others anyway even without adjusting your odo. It would be even greater in terms of distance travelled instead of just distance indicated. I did the sums somewhere (ages ago).

I just pulled mine off (at the wear indicators), but I didn't have any of the slipperiness Phil experienced. Might've gotten a lucky batch though. I can say, the worst day on the bridgey was more stable than the best on the Metz (all 5000 miles of it!)
I wonder if carpenter is contractually obligated to use the Metz? Sponsors?

They are/were absolutely not obliged to any maker whatsoever, especially not tires. They choose what they felt were the best/safest tires for the given application.

The Metzeler is not intrinsically a sub-par tire (I'd get 7-8,000 miles per set), they're just not optimal for the everyday rider, especially now with the previously non-existant choices we had not too many years ago. Their cupping issue on the front was a very consistent negative, however their reported lifespan and handling characteristics have a very wide range, dependent upon the user, one's riding style, the road type frequented and road compositions.

I was just wondering because I've ran them (preferably) on other bikes. It would've made sense if they had external reasons. I can also see where if you're just burning them up in a 1/4 mile, they'd be great! They're good straight line tires even on the beast.

Back