Break-in period/limited power?

Ok,
since this topic is open.
My 2020 R3 is 3-weeks old, and I have 280 miles on it now. I can’t seem to get into sport mode?
I can select rain and road, go figure?
Sport mode, ( this is the curved road with dotted lines down the middle)
shows up in the display when I select it. It defaults back to road riding mode?
Im i doing something wrong?
It will be a few more weeks before I will be ready for my 600 mile service.
Could my dealer here in Phoenix, limited the output?
Thanks !

When the 'sport mode' is scrolled down/up from the other modes push the select toggle in for the sport mode then in the tray (to the right of the riding modes) will be the sport mode display. Push the toggle to the right to get into the sport tray. Now push 'select' by pushing the toggle switch in. There will be a check mark for selected sport mode in the tray. It will not display the sport mode until you start riding (if you did it before you ride with engine running). If you did it with engine off after selecting the sport mode just hit the instrument panel 'home-Chonos theme' or 'quartz' display that brings your chosen main display back up and the sport mode should be displayed. Hope that helps.

Sorry guys, maybe I didn't ask my question properly. Break in procedure isn't what I'm asking about. I'm asking "Is the engine/performance restricted during break-in?". Basically, when break-in is completed, and first service completed, am I going to hop onto the bike, and get an unexpected new amount of power?
similar issue here, I can not put the bike in sport mode. im only about 700 miles into it and it will not go into sport mode

No, the power will be the mode you select. The only difference is the shift light will advise you to **** at a lower RPM. You can go into the menus system and turn is off or to a different setting. I am leaving it on for break-on, then turning it off.

Ok,
since this topic is open.
My 2020 R3 is 3-weeks old, and I have 280 miles on it now. I can’t seem to get into sport mode?
I can select rain and road, go figure?
Sport mode, ( this is the curved road with dotted lines down the middle)
shows up in the display when I select it. It defaults back to road riding mode?
Im i doing something wrong?
It will be a few more weeks before I will be ready for my 600 mile service.
Could my dealer here in Phoenix, limited the output?
Thanks !
Interesting, I wonder if Sport mode only becomes available after 1000 miles?

I remember when after my bike had its first service the bloke at the dealership said that the ECU was updated as part of the work. I asked him what the update did. He didn't know.

It wasn't anything to do with mode selection though - I put mine into Sport mode the day I bought it with zero miles.

I made an post yesterday but can not find it. I'll try to recall the data.
The modes can not be changed with the bike in motion. Sport mode is definitely more power than Street mode.
At 65mph 5th gear street node shows 29mpg, in Sport Mode 27mpg. The bike is getting more fuel for sure and hauls a##.

Last edited:
I made an post yesterday but can not find it. I'll try to recall the data.
The modes can not be changed with the bike in motion. Sport mode is definitely more power than Street mode.
At 65mph 5th gear street node shows 29mpg, in Sport Mode 27mpg. The bike is getting more fuel for sure and hauls a##.
My understanding of the modes are that the total max power is not changed. It is just a change in the throttle mapping where less twist gives more fuel injection. Try this. In sport mode go to about 3/4 of the twist range hold it there for a second then twist the rear of the way. You will notice there is no change in acceleration. Basically it gives you more throttle with less twist. In short in makes the throttle more sensitive or twitchy.

Back