Break-in period/limited power?

Vhayne

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 GT
Probably a stupid question. Got my Rocket 3 GT last week, and have only been able to ride it for about 50 miles one day so far due to various reasons.....today being just too dang cold. That will change soon however! :)

So my question is basically, is the performance/engine being limited while the bike is in it's break-in period? I've been reading through these forums, and have picked up on some posts that seem to be suggesting this is a thing. Also, some new cars are now electronically limited during their break-in (I think the C8 corvette?). So I wouldn't be surprised if bikes might follow suit.

Just a bit curious about this, as I rode it from the dealer with about 15 miles on it. Has some serious get-up-and-go.....but wondering if there is more to come with more mileage. If not, that's cool too. Totally satisfied.

Mostly just keeping it under certain amount of rpm until first service, then let her rip. Also the ecu tune unleashes more power.

Sorry guys, maybe I didn't ask my question properly. Break in procedure isn't what I'm asking about. I'm asking "Is the engine/performance restricted during break-in?". Basically, when break-in is completed, and first service completed, am I going to hop onto the bike, and get an unexpected new amount of power?

Ok, so technically it is restricted. Not that I would even get close to 6500 anytime soon. I short-shift too much. :)
I redline a new engine at least once every 100 km (60 miles). Other than that, I work it hard; brisk acceleration, lots of uphills, twisties with plenty of gear changes, and frequent top speed runs - the latter at least once every 200 km (120 miles) for at least a kilometre. My bikes go like the cl4ppers, use no oil and burn clean. All seventeen (17) that I have at present. I have been doing that for the last 49 years, during which I have owned 110+; I am not sure how many exactly. Granted, they were not all new when I got them, and I did simply fix-and-flip a number of those when I was younger - to afford others that I could not financially manage at the time. I change oil frequently and keep them clean and maintained all the time.

Clean to Inspect, Inspect to Detect, Detect to Correct, Correct to Perfect –an aviation maintenance/reliability refrain. Equally applicable to motorcycles.

Back