On my bikes with ABS (BMW/Harley), I bleed per non-abs brake procedure taking great care not to introduce air, then run down my gravel drive and activate the ABS several times, I then return and flush the brake system again.

I also do my cages every few years or so

I understand this is more critical for the ABS bikes than regular brake systems. I do it myself now using the Mityvac. So quick and easy even I can do it...

On my bikes with ABS (BMW/Harley), I bleed per non-abs brake procedure taking great care not to introduce air, then run down my gravel drive and activate the ABS several times, I then return and flush the brake system again.

I also do my cages every few years or so
Interesting, I was under the impression that only the dealer could do it on BMWs, had to be hooked up to their computer or dealer tool.

Is it really necessary to change the brake fluid every 2 years. We did'nt used to have to do it on cars years ago. I had a Harley with abs brakes and they said you have to change the fluid every 2 years or risk brake failure. I did'nt keep it for more than 18 months.
My car has abs brakes and the brake fluid has been in it for over 6 years with no problems.
Is this just another money scheme for the dealers?
Does anybody know the truth? It's all getting very expensive these days.
Mike i do it every two years just for the peace of mind, and i upgraded to Dot 5.1 as it has a higher boiling point.. On my roadster i,d just nip over to the Motorbike workshop and ask Dave to change it, but on my 2004 (no abs) its just a matter of pumping some fresh fluid through.. Cost is low for the knowledge that your brakes are working correctly.

This thread cursed me, I was taking my r/65 and side car to a local antique car and bike show today, it's been on the tender since May. Fired right up, hit the brake baking up, flopped right to the bottom,from reservoir empty. And when I loaded the Sprint to bring to Florida a couple weeks ago, it's sat for 5 years, same thing, brake lever went to the bottom and stayed there. So I got on the Rocket, I had it out once since we got down here, didn't catch on the first try, battery too weak. I was afraid to try another bike, now, but my trusty Blackbird fired right up, sheesh.
Bless the internet, ordered a new battery before I finished my first beer at the show.

Just to add to this thread, I recently swapped the front calipers on my 05, and had a heck of a time bleeding the system. I tried the "strap the brake lever down and leave overnight" method, and by golly, it worked! Nice hard feel now. It's something to do with the check valve in the master cylinder, I think. But I would be afraid to mess with my 2013 with ABS, but I have read as mentioned above, that purposely activating the ABS, then bleeding, a few times, sometimes works. o_O :thumbsup::cool:

Just to add to this thread, I recently swapped the front calipers on my 05, and had a heck of a time bleeding the system. I tried the "strap the brake lever down and leave overnight" method, and by golly, it worked! Nice hard feel now. It's something to do with the check valve in the master cylinder, I think. But I would be afraid to mess with my 2013 with ABS, but I have read as mentioned above, that purposely activating the ABS, then bleeding, a few times, sometimes works. o_O :thumbsup::cool:
It does work like a charm!

This thread cursed me, I was taking my r/65 and side car to a local antique car and bike show today, it's been on the tender since May. Fired right up, hit the brake baking up, flopped right to the bottom,from reservoir empty. And when I loaded the Sprint to bring to Florida a couple weeks ago, it's sat for 5 years, same thing, brake lever went to the bottom and stayed there. So I got on the Rocket, I had it out once since we got down here, didn't catch on the first try, battery too weak. I was afraid to try another bike, now, but my trusty Blackbird fired right up, sheesh.
Bless the internet, ordered a new battery before I finished my first beer at the show.
What did you expect ... after-all it is a Honda... the original Oriental curse of Western vehicle manufacturers everywhere!
Pinch, buy, improve or out-design their ideas and then perfect production, delivery and servicing.;)

Back