Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Is it really necessary to change the brake fluid every 2 years. We did'nt used to have to do it on cars years ago. I had a Harley with abs brakes and they said you have to change the fluid every 2 years or risk brake failure. I did'nt keep it for more than 18 months.
My car has abs brakes and the brake fluid has been in it for over 6 years with no problems.
Is this just another money scheme for the dealers?
Does anybody know the truth? It's all getting very expensive these days.

Small amounts of water get into your brake system over time, period. How much can be debated. The big push about ABS braking systems and changing the fluid at a specific interval (which varies slightly depending on the manufacturer), is if any water gets in the system and pools in the fluid (DOT 5) or mixes w/ the fluid (most others - hygroscopic), it can cause corrosion, and ABS valves/parts/etc can be expensive and could possibly fail due to corrosion. It's a "best practice".

Now is your bike going to blow up - NO.
Is there a possibility that fluid contamination and/or corrosion will effect the ability of the brakes to work as designed/properly - YES.

That's one of those personal judgement calls (I must admit, I am lacking in the every 2 yrs Dept). Thanks for the reminder. It's cheap insurance, but can be a pain. Just my 2 pence!

Small amounts of water get into your brake system over time, period. How much can be debated. The big push about ABS braking systems and changing the fluid at a specific interval (which varies slightly depending on the manufacturer), is if any water gets in the system and pools in the fluid (DOT 5) or mixes w/ the fluid (most others - hygroscopic), it can cause corrosion, and ABS valves/parts/etc can be expensive and could possibly fail due to corrosion. It's a "best practice".

Now is your bike going to blow up - NO.
Is there a possibility that fluid contamination and/or corrosion will effect the ability of the brakes to work as designed/properly - YES.

That's one of those personal judgement calls (I must admit, I am lacking in the every 2 yrs Dept). Thanks for the reminder. It's cheap insurance, but can be a pain. Just my 2 pence!
Yes, it's better safe than sorry with brakes i know but but the service reqirements have definitely changed in the last 15 years, ie. it was not on the older schedules.

Dot 5 is synthetic and is not compatible with other brake fluids such as Dot 3 or 4. The new Dot 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3 or 4.

The synthetic Dot 5 is also not compatible with all brake systems. Read your instructions carefully. Dot 5 can cause damage to the seals if not compatible.

Back