Brake fluid change - I screwed it up

That friend is the third hand I spoke of. Without the use of them new fangled bleeder values with the spring loaded ball valve inside, how can it be other than a two person job. I suppose you might get the right side done singlehandedly but it's a stretch to get to the left side.

With the lever pumped up (pressured) it should not depress against the grip until the bleeder is opened, unless you're sucking air or the line is full of air and or the reservoir is empty:eek:

Pump up the brake lever and hold the pressure on. When the bleeder valve is opened the brake lever will collapse down to the grip. Without taking your hand off the lever at this point have your assistant close the bleeder valve. With the bleeder closed pump vigorously on the brake level to feed more fluid down the line. The lever should quickly regain it's normal position, then hold it again with pressure. Now again open the bleeder and the lever will again collapse against the grip. Without releasing the lever from the grip close the valve again. Repeat...repeat...repeat until no air is spewing out with the fluid. If you use a long enough clear line hose you will see solid fluid in the tube with no interruptions with air pockets.

It sounds as though you have succeeded with the aid of your friend; and it sounds as though you didn't use a proper box end wrench (with the rounding off of the bleeder value). Cresent wrenches and open end wrench have their purposes but this ain't one of them. Safe traveling and don't be a stranger.

Last edited:
That friend is the third hand I spoke of. Without the use of them new fangled bleeder values with the spring loaded ball valve inside, how can it be other than a two person job. I suppose you might get the right side done singlehandedly but it's a stretch to get to the left side.

With the lever pumped up (pressured) it should not depress against the grip until the bleeder is opened, unless you're sucking air or the line is full of air and or the reservoir is empty:eek:

Pump up the brake lever and hold the pressure on. When the bleeder valve is opened the brake lever will collapse down to the grip. Without taking your hand off the lever at this point have your assistant close the bleeder valve. With the bleeder closed pump vigorously on the brake level to feed more fluid down the line. The lever should quickly regain it's normal position, then hold it again with pressure. Now again open the bleeder and the lever will again collapse against the grip. Without releasing the lever from the grip close the valve again. Repeat...repeat...repeat until no air is spewing out with the fluid. If you use a long enough clear line hose you will see solid fluid in the tube with no interruptions with air pockets.

It sounds as though you have succeeded with the aid of your friend; and it sounds as though you didn't use a proper box end wrench (with the rounding off of the bleeder value). Cresent wrenches and open end wrench have their purposes but this ain't one of them. Safe traveling and don't be a stranger.

Thanks a lot for this precious info :). I think the bleed tube is too long to be completely filled with drained fluid from bleed valve. After every release, I use to get 3-4 inch tube length of fluid and the tube itself is almost 10 +inches and when I repeat the procedure, that 3-4 inch length of fluid goes down to the container leaving the air gap behind. So the bleed tube will be never be completely (10 inches) filled wit fluid. So all I did is repeat the procedure until I get no bubbles in that 3-4 inch (I mean 3-4 inches of bleed pipe length starting from the valve point) length of fluid comes out of valve.

It does sound as though you're ready. Hava good and safe trip and keep your eye the cagers. You never know who is titillating what; instead of, keeping their minds on their responsibilities on the road.

Also what if I forget the setting of the brake lever adjuster? ****...I made so many mistake for my first time. I turn it to the position 1 before starting the bleed but I forgot which number was it adjusted on (2,3 & 4?). So I set it to position 3 finally. What is the significance of this adjuster? and on what basis it should be set?

that is just a preference. it affects how far you have to reach to pull it in. 1 is farthest means you pull it all the way and thats tons of brakes. if it was on 4 i believe you could pull the handle to the bar and it would barely slow you down.

Back