Bought a non runner in Vancouver

Didnt have much for oil or coolant in it. Did an oil change. Havent bothered to put coolant in it yet.

Did a compression test. Doesnt look good at 90-60-90. It does have spark though. Put it all back together, drained the tank and put some fresh fuel in it. Turned it over, no fire. Ran codes, just had the p0460 which i cleared. Fuel pump is priming.

I'm hoping i did something wrong on my comp test.
Compression is very low - as @Paul Bryant mentioned check valve clearances. If they are ok then it’s diving into the engine to find why compression is low

How did you do the compression test? Those spark plug holes are way down there. You'd have to use a gauge with a screw in hose. And you not only got a deal, you got a spare computer. They ain't cheap. It's a shame to have such a nice looking bike, and not know what yea-hoo has done to it in it's past ownership. I'm hoping you just got a bum reading on the compression, and seeing as how they/he/whoever was messing with the wiring, maybe they did not get into the internals. I got a feeling she will live again, and you'll be grinning from ear to ear. Lot's of good advice here, but I wouldn't go tearing into things, until you're quite sure about whats going on. It may be something very simple. Fingers crossed. One of my 05's has over 60,000 miles on it, and I doubt the valve clearance has ever been checked. It ran like cwap when I bought it, and didn't think I was going to make it home. Another yea-hoo had been messing with the wiring, and also installed a Dynojet Power Commander. I took it off and went back to stock configuration. Added a custom tune from Hanso, and it's my favorite bike to ride. It also came with a full Jardine exhaust syatem. I paid $3500 for it. It runs much better than my stock 2013.;)

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just picked up what I believe is a 2004 r3. No title/registration. Previous owner gave up on it when it stopped running. Left it at the shop and vanished. All I know is he tried a new computer and that wasnt the issue. Anyways, lots of stuff unplugged but bike looks to be fairly complete. She'll be a winter project while I start the process of recovering title/registration. I thank you all in advance for the help down the road! Hopefully I can be an r3 rider next summer!
Welcome Hammer from United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry about the airbox pieces. Go aftermarket and forget them. Mine are boxed up in the shed somewhere.
No I don't have a spare and mine is black. I used the Ramair filter and it is under the bearclaw. The large triples look good without the claw

Sometimes on the older brit bikes that had been sitting for a while, we poured a small amount of oil down the plug holes and let it sit for a couple of days. If the piston rings are sticky it may help to loosen them up.

"Blaster" works pretty good on rust too! In the old days Marvel Mystery oil was sometimes called snake oil (slippery).

BIKE RUNS!!!!

.......kinda

Okay, so first thing I did today was pull plugs on 1, 4 & 6. Poured a bit of oil down each hole. Let it sit for 4 hours while I drove to town for my kids lacrosse game. Got back and did another compression test. Numbers up but still not good @ 120/70/120. Start directing my focus to the fuel system. Did a bunch of reading. Decided to check out the fall detection sensor, unplugged it and plugged it back in. Before i started digging in to the fuel system to deep I decided to just try some ether. Short blast into each throttle body. Bike fires up and RUNS. I was excited but expected it to die right away. It didn't. Kept running, i crank the throttle a few times. I decide to let the neighbors know the bike is running , so I crank it harder a few more times!!!

Then I remember I don't have any coolant in the bike :banghead: and I shut it off with the kill switch.

Super pumped. The wife comes out to the garage and I go full show and tell. Try and start it normally........nothing. Spray a bit more ether in there, nothing. SON OF A....... !!!!!!!

Run codes again now that it has run for a bit. P1632 - Fall detection switch voltage

Cleared it. Super weird that it ran but then tripped that somehow again.

Its late and I already sent a message to the neighbors. Tomorrow is going to be a great day, I can feel it.

Well last night was a giant tease. Bike has no spark now. Tried both ecm's. Time to start surfing around on here.

On a side note can someone tell me what is missing from here behind the relays on the left side panel? 20181001_113811.jpg

Well last night was a giant tease. Bike has no spark now. Tried both ecm's. Time to start surfing around on here.

On a side note can someone tell me what is missing from here behind the relays on the left side panel? 20181001_113811.jpg

Just went out and looked at my 2013. Nothing there on mine either.

Sorry if I missed it but did you put a new battery in her or just recharge the one that was in it?

Back