Bluetooth Helmet Speakers: which are good & reasonable $

Fishbein said:
Super D. said:
Fishbein said:
[quote="Super D.":2t3f2v70]
Fishbein said:
[quote="Super D.":2t3f2v70]
Fishbein said:
[quote="Super D.":2t3f2v70]I have a Element Fastrack Bluetooth helmet, and I really like it. I posted on it before, and there were some mixed opinions.... Mine still is that it is a great helmet, and the sound is above average. Mind you, that it by no means sounds like a Bose enclosed headphone system, but it is pretty decent. The battery has lasted me 14 hours on one trip.
I will say that the connecting to the phone sound is not that great, but that is not why I got it anyway. For music and connecting to my iPhone... I love it.

Thanks, Super D...is that just the speaker kit or you gotta get the whole helmet? I like my shoe, thought I replaced it with Triumph stickers so it looks like a Triumph helmet that doesn't exist!
No, It is a whole helmet... And I also have the 550, and it doesn't work well with it either... Music ~ GOOD, Everything else ~ Not so good, or so-so.

Gotcha, sounds like a half-hearted endorsement.

Not really, I do like it... I did a lot of research, and this is the best one that I came up with for a reasonable price. It does pretty good across the board... but some things better than others.
My brother has the Scala, and he likes it pretty well... but he has complaints about it as well.
I don't think there is anything out there that is going to get 5 stars across the board... If you find it, be sure and post ~ I know a lot of people are interested.

I'd love to know how yours compares to the scala...have you listened to both?[/quote:2t3f2v70]
No, I didn't try it because I heard a lot of feed back on the noise level at speed.[/quote:2t3f2v70]\

So you think yours is better at speed then scala?[/quote:2t3f2v70]
I haven't tried it, but from the info that I gathered, it sounds to have a lot of noise at speed so I disregarded it from the start. Mine does get a little buffeting, but I typically ride without the screen, and usually always 75+mph. If I go on long rides, I put on the screen, and it is perfect.
Read through my other post on the helmet, and see what the other guys said.... I really like it, and it suits me fine. But some of the other guys didn't like it at all.

Super D. said:
Fishbein said:
[quote="Super D.":5hk6mvyr]
Fishbein said:
Fishbein said:
Fishbein said:
[quote="Super D.":5hk6mvyr]I have a Element Fastrack Bluetooth helmet, and I really like it. I posted on it before, and there were some mixed opinions.... Mine still is that it is a great helmet, and the sound is above average. Mind you, that it by no means sounds like a Bose enclosed headphone system, but it is pretty decent. The battery has lasted me 14 hours on one trip.
I will say that the connecting to the phone sound is not that great, but that is not why I got it anyway. For music and connecting to my iPhone... I love it.

Thanks, Super D...is that just the speaker kit or you gotta get the whole helmet? I like my shoe, thought I replaced it with Triumph stickers so it looks like a Triumph helmet that doesn't exist!
No, It is a whole helmet... And I also have the 550, and it doesn't work well with it either... Music ~ GOOD, Everything else ~ Not so good, or so-so.

Gotcha, sounds like a half-hearted endorsement.

Not really, I do like it... I did a lot of research, and this is the best one that I came up with for a reasonable price. It does pretty good across the board... but some things better than others.
My brother has the Scala, and he likes it pretty well... but he has complaints about it as well.
I don't think there is anything out there that is going to get 5 stars across the board... If you find it, be sure and post ~ I know a lot of people are interested.

I'd love to know how yours compares to the scala...have you listened to both?[/quote:5hk6mvyr]
No, I didn't try it because I heard a lot of feed back on the noise level at speed.[/quote:5hk6mvyr]\

So you think yours is better at speed then scala?[/quote:5hk6mvyr]
I haven't tried it, but from the info that I gathered, it sounds to have a lot of noise at speed so I disregarded it from the start. Mine does get a little buffeting, but I typically ride without the screen, and usually always 75+mph. If I go on long rides, I put on the screen, and it is perfect.
Read through my other post on the helmet, and see what the other guys said.... I really like it, and it suits me fine. But some of the other guys didn't like it at all.[/quote:5hk6mvyr]

Ok, bro, will do....what do I search for to find your post?

Here's an interesting review of the Scala. Bottom line appears to be it's fine for GPS and talking between riders or on the phone, but it's too high pitched for cruising and jammin' to Rock and Roll.

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
Great Communications, Weak Music, October 27, 2009
By Fred Anonymous Smith

I have mixed feelings about Cardo's Scala Rider MultiSet Q2. The bike-to-bike communications feature was highly desirable since my wife & myself ride separate machines. This feature works well between the two headsets (preset at the factory) and is very easy to use. The Scala Rider also works well with my TomTom Rider 2 GPS, with setup just as the owners manual described. Finally, my Samsung cellular phone works through the TomTom Rider, with setup for that just as the TomTom owners manual described.

Installing the headsets onto the helmets was easy enough. After some trial and error, discovered the easiest way to accomplish this was by removing the headset's back plate, using a screwdriver to carefully separate the foam lining (held with adhesive tape) from the helmet shell, inserting the back plate into the helmet, and then reattaching the headset. Even on our half-helmets, the boom mic (longer than earlier Cardo headsets) was easily able to reach the desired position.

That said, I'm not nearly as impressed with either the MP3 input or FM radio. Given the high-pitched speakers with absolutely no bass (good for voice, not music), nobody is going to be jamming down the highway listening to music from these. Homemade spacers to position the speakers closer to the ears did help considerably, but I truly doubt anything will make these speakers sound all that great with music.

Setting up the headset's FM radio was surprisingly difficult. The radio tunes by scanning until a station is found. Afterwards, one button stops the scan on that station and another stores the station into memory if desired. Otherwise, scan continues after a pause of a few seconds. Without a frequency display, finding a specific station is not easy since one really doesn't know whether to tune upwards or downwards from the current position. Further, the headset's hard-to-push buttons (pressed many times) were eventually painful on the fingers.

To make matters worse, none of my favorite local stations (fairly strong signals) were even detected by the built-in radio. I eventually used a small FM transmitter (placed just inches from the headset) to locate those stations long enough to store them into memory. Sadly, once the FM radio was set up, reception was extremely poor, with considerable noise and static. I eventually gave up and switched to the FM radio built into my MP3 player.

The MP3 player input feature is not much better than the FM radio. Even with the MP3 player's volume control turned to maximum, the volume (loudness) is far too weak. The headset does not amplify the MP3 player input and there are no tone adjustments on the headset. Of course, nothing (even turning MP3 player's bass all the way up and treble all the way down) could really improve the sound quality from the tinny speakers. Actually, given the poor sound from those speakers, perhaps it's a good thing the volume is so sorely lacking.

Since I mentioned an FM transmitter, let me also comment on that. For a truly wireless arrangement, I initially tried connecting the MP3 player to such a transmitter and then listening to MP3 music through the headset's FM radio. However, after trying several transmitters (Belkin, etc) on each of the two included headsets, it just didn't work (fading, hiss & uncomfortably loud static). The headset's FM radio just appears too insensitive to reliably receive such a signal. A transmitter deploying a wire antenna helped, but even that was noisy and faded often. I ultimately gave up and just plugged the MP3 player directly into the headset.

In the end, after much fiddling with volume and audio adjustments, I achieved what could only be described as moderately comfortable background music - something to listen to while riding, but not much else. Again, no cruising through the countryside while jamming to loud music. However, I should point out that my bike has a windshield and is very quiet. Someone with a louder machine (loud mufflers, wind noise, etc) might not be able to achieve even decent background music. On the plus side, the voice communications feature works well in noisier conditions.

So, in conclusion, three features (communications, GPS, & phone) work well, one feature (FM radio) works horribly, and one feature (MP3) is marginal. Had I purchased this setup only for the latter two, I would have immediately returned it for a refund. There are clearly much better options for both music and FM radio. The first three features prevented that return. However, as it is, I can only feel lukewarm about the Scala Rider MultiSet Q2 since it really doesn't fully provide everything desired and promised

Here is the link:
http://www.r3owners.com/viewtopic.php?t ... ck&start=0

Super D. said:
Here is the link:

Thanks, man, going to look at it in 2 seconds. Man, most unbelievable blizzard I can remember, and I've lived in DC are almost all my life! Incredible....my buddy on here, who I rode through the Smokies with, Scowherd, apparently uses CAMOS and he has the Zumo 550 like me. He turned me on to a bluetooth toggle that allows you to get the XM Radio wireless/bluetooth. I'm waiting for that link. Fish

To clarify, I',m waiting for the link for CAMOS; his wife says he likes the sound quality. Fish

Super D. said:
Here is the link:

Looks awesome! Probably is I really like my Shoe. But I'll consider it. I wonder why they only have black (saw the shiny and matted options), maybe because it's new? I assume it's DOT approved? Big question: Be honest, how is the airflow, vents are typical or they're better than average but not as good as Arai? Fish I'll keep reading....

Fishbein said:
Here's an interesting review of the Scala. Bottom line appears to be it's fine for GPS and talking between riders or on the phone, but it's too high pitched for cruising and jammin' to Rock and Roll.

By Fred Anonymous Smith

I have mixed feelings about Cardo's Scala Rider MultiSet Q2. The bike-to-bike communications feature was highly desirable since my wife & myself ride separate machines. This feature works well between the two headsets (preset at the factory) and is very easy to use. The Scala Rider also works well with my TomTom Rider 2 GPS, with setup just as the owners manual described. Finally, my Samsung cellular phone works through the TomTom Rider, with setup for that just as the TomTom owners manual described.

Installing the headsets onto the helmets was easy enough. After some trial and error, discovered the easiest way to accomplish this was by removing the headset's back plate, using a screwdriver to carefully separate the foam lining (held with adhesive tape) from the helmet shell, inserting the back plate into the helmet, and then reattaching the headset. Even on our half-helmets, the boom mic (longer than earlier Cardo headsets) was easily able to reach the desired position.

That said, I'm not nearly as impressed with either the MP3 input or FM radio. Given the high-pitched speakers with absolutely no bass (good for voice, not music), nobody is going to be jamming down the highway listening to music from these. Homemade spacers to position the speakers closer to the ears did help considerably, but I truly doubt anything will make these speakers sound all that great with music.

Setting up the headset's FM radio was surprisingly difficult. The radio tunes by scanning until a station is found. Afterwards, one button stops the scan on that station and another stores the station into memory if desired. Otherwise, scan continues after a pause of a few seconds. Without a frequency display, finding a specific station is not easy since one really doesn't know whether to tune upwards or downwards from the current position. Further, the headset's hard-to-push buttons (pressed many times) were eventually painful on the fingers.

To make matters worse, none of my favorite local stations (fairly strong signals) were even detected by the built-in radio. I eventually used a small FM transmitter (placed just inches from the headset) to locate those stations long enough to store them into memory. Sadly, once the FM radio was set up, reception was extremely poor, with considerable noise and static. I eventually gave up and switched to the FM radio built into my MP3 player.

The MP3 player input feature is not much better than the FM radio. Even with the MP3 player's volume control turned to maximum, the volume (loudness) is far too weak. The headset does not amplify the MP3 player input and there are no tone adjustments on the headset. Of course, nothing (even turning MP3 player's bass all the way up and treble all the way down) could really improve the sound quality from the tinny speakers. Actually, given the poor sound from those speakers, perhaps it's a good thing the volume is so sorely lacking.

Since I mentioned an FM transmitter, let me also comment on that. For a truly wireless arrangement, I initially tried connecting the MP3 player to such a transmitter and then listening to MP3 music through the headset's FM radio. However, after trying several transmitters (Belkin, etc) on each of the two included headsets, it just didn't work (fading, hiss & uncomfortably loud static). The headset's FM radio just appears too insensitive to reliably receive such a signal. A transmitter deploying a wire antenna helped, but even that was noisy and faded often. I ultimately gave up and just plugged the MP3 player directly into the headset.

In the end, after much fiddling with volume and audio adjustments, I achieved what could only be described as moderately comfortable background music - something to listen to while riding, but not much else. Again, no cruising through the countryside while jamming to loud music. However, I should point out that my bike has a windshield and is very quiet. Someone with a louder machine (loud mufflers, wind noise, etc) might not be able to achieve even decent background music. On the plus side, the voice communications feature works well in noisier conditions.

So, in conclusion, three features (communications, GPS, & phone) work well, one feature (FM radio) works horribly, and one feature (MP3) is marginal. Had I purchased this setup only for the latter two, I would have immediately returned it for a refund. There are clearly much better options for both music and FM radio. The first three features prevented that return. However, as it is, I can only feel lukewarm about the Scala Rider MultiSet Q2 since it really doesn't fully provide everything desired and promised

Thanks for the post... Now, I know not to get this one...
I guess I will keep searching. Let me know when you find something good.

Fishbein said:
JDuke1980 said:

Hey, bud, long time...did you go back out to the Smokies? I think yoiu told me you did. I've seen the Scala in a few bike shops around here, but there's no way to know what the sound quality is, is there, unless you have a buddy with one? Fish
Yeah, I went back out in September, we had a blast.

My fiance and me are planning on going to the ride in Kentucky in May. She starts a new job at the end of March, so we're not sure if we'll make the whole event or not, but we'll be there for a day or two atleast.

JDuke1980 said:
Fishbein said:

By Fred Anonymous Smith

Thanks for the post... Now, I know not to get this one...
I guess I will keep searching. Let me know when you find something good.

that' just 1 review...I guess you need to read them all, just look up scala and you'll see the reviews....scowheard told me what he uses, I'll look for it.

Back