Bike running rough. Please help.

Arkansas Rocket

.040 Over
Well here's what i get for trying to check some things on my Rocket. Hers's what I did.
I opened up the inspection plate to check my timing chain and guides. I also removed the cam chain tensioner assembly and inspected the pluger and spring. When I pulled the tensioner out I heard what sounded something moved inside the engine. I reassembled everything and now my bike is hard to start and runs like ****. All I can think what happened I got the timing off somehow. Is this possible by just removing the tensenor? I need somebody's help.

Well here's what i get for trying to check some things on my Rocket. Hers's what I did.
I opened up the inspection plate to check my timing chain and guides. I also removed the cam chain tensioner assembly and inspected the pluger and spring. When I pulled the tensioner out I heard what sounded something moved inside the engine. I reassembled everything and now my bike is hard to start and runs like ****. All I can think what happened I got the timing off somehow. Is this possible by just removing the tensenor? I need somebody's help.

Sounds like you maybe lost the valve timing.. take care "dont" run the motor..
I have never worked on the R3 timing chain adjuster but it is possible the cam shafts have moved due to the valve springs being compessed ... the slack chain maybe jumped a tooth.. you would need to check all timing gear marks etc.

Do you have a manual?
Warp9 is maybe the best person for hands on help you could PM him..

JM2CW

Yes sense you loosened the tensioner without using the jig to hold the cams in time. They are out of time You are lucky you did not bend a valve when you fired her up. Do not run it until you open her up and retime the cams or a catostrophic event will occur. The worst I have seen has been new head, cams, pistons, liners and crank as two of the exhaust valve broke off from the collision. If your is running ruff you could have already kiss the pistons with the valves.

Do not run the engine until you open her up and reset the cam timing !!!!!

you will also have to check for bent valves via valve clearance.

Back