Best Tire Size for Handling

Hey guys Avon makes a 140/75/17 cobra chrome :)
Yes thought on original purchase to buy a 140 but went with the stock size. Main reason is the 150 handles better on the highway. Bike runs smooth. The thing i noticed about running a 140 up front was the bike handled better in the corners but was not very comfortable on the highway. Bike would not track as well in cold weather or wet with the 140. Plus the rear wheel bearing took a beating. Guess it all depends on how and when you ride. Most of my riding time here in Oklahoma is straight open highway.

Certain that some tires are better for taking corners and may be idea for your type of riding pleasure but a set of Avon Chromes in the stock sizes are hard to beat for over all riding. Handling in all types of weather superb. Good mileage and excellent traction. Plus you get a set of matching tires front and back vice mixing brands and tread. Makes for a very smooth ride. Your wheel bearings will thank you. Stock size tires seem to make the wheel bearings last. Experience not math.

Thanks Sonny, now you've got me thinking Avon Chromes front and rear after I wear out my current tires .....or even before that happens. In a few months I'll be at 10,000 on the Rocket tires.......takes that much time because I alternate between the Ultra and the Rocket every week that I ride which is once a week for appprox. 200 miles, 52 weeks a year here in, "Sunny Southern California". Maybe I'll spring for a set of Chromes then......or Michelin's.....or....oh geez........decisions, decisions....:unsure:;):)

I still have the new Avon Chrome back tire in the living room. The recall tire is still on the bike. Been like that for over a month. Still looking at time to get it done and replace the rear. Am not to bright and like to ride when ever i can. Mornings are cold but afternoons coming home make it worth while. Believe me when i say the Chromes are a good tire. Handled great in the Snow. Like i said not real bright at times.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I still have the new Avon Chrome back tire in the living room. The recall tire is still on the bike. Been like that for over a month. Still looking at time to get it done and replace the rear. Am not to bright and like to ride when ever i can. Mornings are cold but afternoons coming home make it worth while. Believe me when i say the Chromes are a good tire. Handled great in the Snow. Like i said not real bright at times.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Snow, what's that? :roll::laugh::D:)

However, as the apple and the pear, those are both fruits, so the Rlll is not a sport bike:p Considering this and his Rlll is Sc, what about the savety of this 'front' Michelin tyre at 150mph + for that Rlll SC ? Try and error ?:D

No issue at speed as it is rated ZR.
Check out this review by Motorcycle.com
Michelin Road 5 Announced – Available January 1, 2018 :thumbsup:

Regarding Avon Chrome - I never could take a motorcycle tire seriously as a performer that comes with white walls. :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
I have a photo taken at Edwards AFB back in the early 80's when snow covered the place and the aircraft parked outside.

Yup, it happens here, once in a long while. Actually, come to think of it, the higher mountains surrounding where I live in Escondido always get snow but most of us live down in the lower elevations and do not get snow. I like looking at it but don't miss driving in it or shoveling it. :)

Ive never run the battle ax before. In fact the only reason I am running their new battle cruise tires is I have a 18 inch 240 rear rim. Ran the cobras before the chromes not bad , cant speak to the mileage because well I had them on the falcon and well boost is hard on tires :D
2011_0612_102734.jpg
GREAT PIC I was there for that one

I'm now on my 3rd "rear on front" - From this experience it's not JUST the 150/70 size in itself. I had a Bridgestone 150/70 after the Azaro but the Road-5 outclasses it by a lang margin. Not just the grip, but it's the roll in - The Crown Profile imo makes a huge difference- it seems to match the 240/55 better.

My personal belief is that a slightly narrower rear would improve things. But I'm past the stage where I am going to try and make the R3 handle like a Sports Bike - because it can't.

barbagris, I am also using the 150/70 Michelin Road 5 on the front - a great tire that I will use again.

I can confirm that fitting a 200/60 to the rear of the R3R improves handling. The 200/60 rear doesn't resist leaning over like the 240 does.
The first one I tried was a Bridgestone Exedra Max, followed by a Bridgestone BT020. I'm now on my 2nd BT020. A great handling tire which seems to work really well on the Rocket's 7.5" rim, and it's cheap.

Back