Bear claw doesn't fit well against tank

loosen two bolts slightly then tilt up towards the tank - hold in position and tighten the bolts again.

You know that the mounting tabs can be bent slightly? I tend to over tighten so when I undo the front one it bends down some & I have to bend it back to its proper placement :banghead:

the original tank and claw fit together just fine. like most of you have said, i had to fiddle with it a bit and then it would "pop" into place.
this one fits perfect when the back claw tab is ABOVE the tank flange nut but you can't secure the tab with the bolt when positioned like that.
i have bent the middle tank tabs a bit, both back and forth, to see if i can get them to seat better with the rubber bushing but am reluctant to do too much as it's a new tank and paint job and the paint cracks when i move them around.
i wish i had kept the damaged tank and claw as a reference!
i'm thinking it's the position of the tank tabs and my reluctance to bend them too far.
with them both being new parts, i figured i'd stop and let the dealership prove they fit or acknowledge there's a problem.
it's actually a great team at Erico Motorsports, i've had great service from them.
i'm off tomorrow afternoon so i plan to head up there and see if they can sort it out.
like most issues i've run across in my life, i'm sure it's "operator error"(me)!
i will keep you posted.....

Attachments

• PA160008.JPG
    PA160008.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 7
  • PA160007.JPG
    PA160007.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PA160005.JPG
    PA160005.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PA160002.JPG
    PA160002.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PA160002.JPG
    PA160002.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PA160006_LI.jpg
    PA160006_LI.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 8
There is a definite knack as I found the first few times when it took forever. Now its a cinch and after having done it a few times I find the best way is to have some slack in the front bracket L tab (where it bolts to the bearclaw), so it can rotate slightly. This one has the longer 8mm head bolt which fixes it to the tank (from memory mine does anyway) so fit it first loosely and then position the rear. As you say the rear is the trickiest to engage the shorter 10mm head bolt as it goes upwards out of view. By leaving that slack on the front one it will allow you to put the bolt in the rear bearclaw tab hole with the socket and short extension bar fitted and then feed it up to the thread and start with your fingers on the bar extension and loose finger tight. Then push the top centre of the bearclaw up till it is as flush as possible and tighten the front bolt, then the rear.

I think I almost use the central location tab as a rubber bump stop rather than actually engaging the tab in a slot etc.. The front and rear bolts hold it in place evenly flush to the tank. As everyone has said it may be the tabs are slightly bent/re-positioned

Back