Bear claw doesn't fit well against tank

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
hey all,
have fitted my new tank and bear claw to the bike but cannot close the gap between the 2. there are only 2 bolts at each end of the claw connecting to hinged nuts/flanges that bolt to the tank.
then you've got the rubber bushing at the top of the claw that should line up with the 2 tank tabs.
i fiddled with the tank and claw for an hour last night and still have a gap between the 2 almost big enough to fit my finger into. the gap is fairly consistent. the claw is secure but i know the fit is not right.
any thoughts?

First make sure the rubber bushing is lining up correctly with the tabs on the tank. You might have to bend the tabs some.

Loosen the bolts.... push up on the claw as your tightening the bolts especially the bolt close to the forks. The bolt close to the engine most likely will not help keep the gap closed. The bolt close to the forks is the important one on keeping the gap closed.

I've thought about placing a star washer on the bolt close to the forks. This will not allow any movement between the bolt and the claw but never have since the gap stays closed.

Take note that there is always going to be some sort of gap there but not large enough to slide your fingers into. The above process works great for me and is how I do it.

I swear I think the rear tab on the claw is in the wrong place. When the rear claw tab is ABOVE the flange nut all fits great but when I put the tab under the nut (as required to secure), the gap opens up.
Arghhh!

no joy here, thanks for offering advice. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong just not sure what it is.
i'll drop by the dealership this week and see if they can fit it correctly.
i almost hope they can't, would make me feel better;)

I know it is a pain in the a$$ but maybe post some pictures of what you have? Us "professionals" might see something that is out of the ordinary. :confused:

Back