Battery Replacement

I also thought my Ultimate charger was defective. It behaves badly sometimes, ala the red lite comes on and it won't charge the 625! It clicks on and off fairly rapidly sometimes, like it's cycling, when the fully-charged green lite is on. Other times it doesn't. Strange. It hasn't exploded, so screw it.
.... fan runs all the time, occasionally all the lights stay on and flicker. I guess it's working fine then. No worries. :p
Yours is doing exactly what mine does all day long. I thought I just had a weird one.

. the oem showed fully charged but could crank the engine over so I replaced the OEM battery with an odyssey 680
same size as the 625 Just filed away the side fins and plopped down the batery in the box

now I may have to buy the proper charger my old optimate111 is nearly 7 years old probably not compatible with AGM odyssey batteries ...

Hopped on the Rocket this morning to go to work, turned the key and hit the starter switch, nothing. No power what so ever. Talk about a letdown.

The old girl is a "07" Classic Tourer left over, bought new in 2008. I didn't know how long the oem battery would last, but I do now.

I kept it on the trickle charger/battery tender on a regular basis.

When I get home, I will double check the battery connections to be sure, but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for posting battery experiences and new battery options.

Hopped on the Rocket this morning to go to work, turned the key and hit the starter switch, nothing. No power what so ever. Talk about a letdown.

The old girl is a "07" Classic Tourer left over, bought new in 2008. I didn't know how long the oem battery would last, but I do now.

I kept it on the trickle charger/battery tender on a regular basis.

When I get home, I will double check the battery connections to be sure, but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for posting battery experiences and new battery options.
If you haven't done so yet, the Odyssey PC625 battery / Odyssey Ultimizer charger combination will be the LAST battery you ever buy for the R3. I strongly recomend that you do the proper battery tray modification rather than letting it sit on the edge of the tray or to cut the fins off the bottom of the battery. We haven't seen what the long term effects are on the bike or battery when corners are cut and the battery is not seated down properly into the holder. Since the PC625 works so well with this bike, why not take a little extra time and do it right? It will last a very long time and start so well that soon you will forget the bike even has a battery. The only drawback to this battery is that you NEED the right charger to get all it has to give. Regular trickle chargers will do nothing for the Odyssey, they are a waste of time. It has got to have the higher voltages in order for it to work properly, but it's those higher voltages that start the R3 so easily every time.

the 680 has side fins about 1/16 of an inch in depth, could hardly call them fins ,one pass with the file and that is all it required to make it fit in the box there are no bottom fins. the r3 tool tray had to go .I think the battery is one inch taller than YUASA YTX 20-BS

next, ..........spend more for the charger..

Last edited:
My first cold day of winter here, any where from -2 to +3c, my 10 month old battery would not start the bike. I got a genuine triumph battery charger with the wiring harness so I didn't have to take the seat of, no help. I then got the next battery upgrade from ytx20l-bs to a ytx20hl-bs. Still the same issue, get home from work when it was warmer, start up, charge all day and night, show fully charged, first thing in the morning, a couple of engine turns, then nothing. I changed the oil, checked the wiring after reading all the threads here, still nothing, was getting so frustrated, depressed, angry, all of the above. Had a price for a new starter, eeeeeeeeeeeek, no option. Last effort, another battery after reading about the odyssey pc625. Here in Australia another option was given to me, a cheaper yet more powerful yet still American, the Deka range. I went big, the Deka AGM ETX16, had to do a few mods, but, WOW, and WOW. Fastest I have ever heard the starter turn the motor. Highly reccommend it. There is a smaller one which fits straight in without mods but I was so pissed off with the other batteries I thought what the heck, cut the top rear of the battery metal strap, put a slight riser in the base so the battery wouldn't sit on the lip of metal since it is wider, it is secure with the rubber strap, it has pure grunt and staying power. Highly recommended after months of uncertainly of cold starts. hope this helps all who have suffered with my same issue. Cheers.

Back