Barnett clutch

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Anyone running a Barnett clutch pack ? Been told i can expect less than third of the lifespan of standard plates .. anyone know? Thanks.

I think(spells danger ) most of the super charger/turbo crowd install the heavier duty clutch plates, I have 50000miles on my stock clutch with no slipage.
Not much help I know but to me the stock clutch has been pretty good:D

MTC Egineering Clutch fibers grip and last like no others I have seen. Much more fiber contact area. To run a full set you have to remove the anti judder spring and seat but it did not seem to affect anything on my beast. They also have a set of springs with 20 + % more tension then stock Triumph springs plus they are the only source of a Billet clutch Basket for the Rocket. Personally I would stick with Triumph fibers before I ran Barrnet

I ran a Barnett for a little while. When it would heat up and become oil soaked, it would creep when stopped while in gear with the clutch pulled in.

The Triumph plates aren't bad. I put mine back in and left the heavier Barnett springs in. You can buy the springs only.

That was my plan from your previous post on the subject pigr, It made perfect sense. I don't have any trouble with it until I try to shift fast under hard acceleration using the clutch. If I just burp shift without the clutch it works fine, but if I use the clutch it will slip for a short time in each gear. So I seldom use the clutch for anything other than taking off anymore.
Your solution is all it needs until you go nuts with the mods and HP starts getting up there. You haven't had any trouble with the head snapping off the new part with the stiffer springs have you? That seems like it would be the new weak point with Barnett springs.

MTC Egineering Clutch fibers grip and last like no others I have seen. Much more fiber contact area. To run a full set you have to remove the anti judder spring and seat but it did not seem to affect anything on my beast. They also have a set of springs with 20 + % more tension then stock Triumph springs plus they are the only source of a Billet clutch Basket for the Rocket. Personally I would stick with Triumph fibers before I ran Barrnet

Scott knows his stuff.
I did as he suggested and got the MTC fibers and springs and LOVE them.
JM2CW

That was my plan from your previous post on the subject pigr, It made perfect sense. I don't have any trouble with it until I try to shift fast under hard acceleration using the clutch. If I just burp shift without the clutch it works fine, but if I use the clutch it will slip for a short time in each gear. So I seldom use the clutch for anything other than taking off anymore.
Your solution is all it needs until you go nuts with the mods and HP starts getting up there. You haven't had any trouble with the head snapping off the new part with the stiffer springs have you? That seems like it would be the new weak point with Barnett springs.

I have the revised lifter and shaft installed also.

My stock friction plates were flogged and the steels were glazed...68,000 klms. Hanging onto the stockies and maybe get'em rebonded. Let you know how the new Barnett pack holds up... A mate told me the clutch pack from a Suzuki Hyabusa is nearly identical to the Rockets.

Ok Tomcat just to let you know I finished dialing my cams up tonight which was easy as ****!!! so I commenced replacing my stock clutch basket with the new MTC forged Billet clutch Basket.

Anyway just wanted to report that in 23,000 miles of running the MTC Fibers the old ones measure the same size as the new set I bought for no what seems to be no reason.

Now I ride my bike **** hard and I believe these are some fine Clutch fibers and the steels are in excellent condition. So If you order a set of them you will not regret it.

Blow is a shot of of one next to the Triumph OEM ones.
MTC on the Left and Triumph on the right.
Note the difference in the fiber surface area between them.

Back