Avon Cobra Recall

Please do not get confused with Perdurabo's accident and Big Doug's incident.

As I understand it, the tyre was not an issue with Perds - it was mud on the road.

Big Doug had a burst rear tyre after fitting an Avon Cobra, but managed to bring the bike to a controlled stop with no injuries.

Whilst it is not a good situation to have been in, I think all credit has to go to Avon for diagnosing the problem quickly, making an immediate offer to Doug for reimbursement of all costs and an immediate recall on the affected batch.

It's difficult to see what you disagree with.

Lines 1, 2 and 3 are undisputed fact.

Line 4 is an opinion on credit due for the speed of diagnosis and the actions they took after diagnosis.

I agree that the tyres should never have left the factory with a fault, but they did - nothing you can do to turn back time, but you surely cannot complain about the company's speed of reaction once the fault was known?

It's alright for you mate, it's now obvious I'm blind, daft and confused. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have send copies of those two emails to every media entity I know and I posted it on WSJ - MarketWatch website.

Sux to hear about the Avons:-x There is of course the Bridgestone alternative.. 2 friends liking the 240/55 rears. Faster handling & much more tire tread on them

This just posted on the UK OC website;

REF : Avon Recall
We are contacting our tyre Distributors and Dealers regarding a tyre recall involving 240/50R16 Cobra tyres. These distributors and dealers should then contact their customers regarding this issue.
The recall is limited to one small batch of tyres manufactured around October last year. This involves tyres built in weeks 41, 42 and 44 of 2009. You can find the date code of your tyres by looking on the sidewall. On one side it will read 'DOT AT6D 12' then the date code...4109, 4209 or 4409.

We have built more tyres which are completing extensive rig tests this week. If all is ok, we hope to begin sending more tyres out later next week.
I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Below is a copy of a letter we are sending to customers. You can also copy and use this to show your dealer.

Peter J McNally
Design and Product Manager
Avon Tyres
………………………………………………………………………………………...

6th May 2010

Dear Customer,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the Code of Practice on vehicle safety recalls issued by the UK’s Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

Cooper Tire and Rubber Company Europe Ltd determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some tyres identified as follows:

Avon 240/50 R16 94V Cobra AV72 Rear Tubeless

DOT Identification numbers: AT6D 12 4109
AT6D 12 4209
AT6D 12 4409

Cooper Tire’s ongoing surveillance indicates that tyres having the above DOT and week date codes, may have a condition which could cause a premature separation between the steel breaker and the casing ply. If the separation is not detected, continued use may cause the breaker wires to separate further from the carcass and then fracture, which might result in a sudden deflation of the tyre resulting in loss of control and subsequent vehicle crash. Driving at highway speeds should be avoided until the tyres have been inspected and replaced if they bear the identification numbers shown above.

Cooper Tire is voluntarily recalling all of the tyres with the identification numbers listed above. To ensure your safety and satisfaction with our product, we request that you return the recalled tyres and this letter to your dealer for inspection. If the inspection verifies that you have a tyre or tyres with the suspect identification numbers, they will be replaced, mounted and balanced, at no charge to you

The time required to determine if the tyre(s) are subject to this RECALL is only a few minutes.

Cooper Tire regrets this inconvenience, but is sure that you understand our interest in your safety and satisfaction with these tyres. Please see your dealer immediately for free replacement of the recalled tyres. Give this letter to them so that it can be returned to us for purposes of this recall.

Yep Brother I called Avon this morning and the recall has not been anounced inthe USA as of yet. They did confirm the recall in the UK and said they are awaiting word. Maybe its a good thing the Doctor would not let me ride as I would be stressing the one I have dated AT6D 12 4209 in the red river Gorge area in Kentucky. My only question is that I did not by mine from a dealership I bought it from MotoXoutlet and then paid a local tire shop to do the change. Do I still take it to a Triumph dealership?

Back