Avon Cobra Recall

bigdoug

Supercharged
As you guys know I had a blow out on a new Avon Cobra a couple of weeks ago. I got this email today and felt it was important to share with you lot. Now dont ask me hard questions cause you all now know as much as me.

Dear Mr Dougary.

As a result of our examination of your returned tyre we are arranging, via your tyre supplier (Two Wheel Triumph, Edinburgh) a reimbursement payment, you will receive notification of this by post in the next few days.

Also if you could please forwarded to us the invoice for the repair work carried reference this incident we will arrange to reimburse you for this sum but directly from Cooper/Avon Tyres.

Please be aware that Cooper/Avon Tyres has of today set in motion a recall on this size and type tyre manufactured within certain time frame. If your replacement tyre is of Avon manufacture you will be contacted shortly by your supplier to have this tyre identified. We are obviously very sorry for this inconvenience but hope you will understand that as always safety is of paramount importance to us.

Best Regards

K. Tucker

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company Europe Ltd.

Tel: 44(0)1225 357750.

Fax: 44(0)1225 791921.

E-Mail: ktucker@coopertire.com.

Customer Service Co-ordinator

Avon warning!!!!!

Oops, didn't notice BigDougs post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest from Avon

Steve,

We have initiated a tyre recall of Avon 240/50R16 Cobra tyres manufactured from weeks 4109 to 4409. The tyres will have a date code stamped on the sidewall. It will read something like 'DOT AT6D 12 4109'. The last 4 digits being the date code.

We will be notifying dealers/customers that they can change their tyres free of charge. New tyres will be available week commencing 17th May which will have undergone further stringent testing before being released.

Best regards,

Peter J McNally

M/C Technical Product Manager

01225 357753

www.avonmotorcycle.com

I note they didn't mention your injuries Paul. I suppose that would be a bad move on their part.

Please do not get confused with Perdurabo's accident and Big Doug's incident.

As I understand it, the tyre was not an issue with Perds - it was mud on the road.

Big Doug had a burst rear tyre after fitting an Avon Cobra, but managed to bring the bike to a controlled stop with no injuries.

Whilst it is not a good situation to have been in, I think all credit has to go to Avon for diagnosing the problem quickly, making an immediate offer to Doug for reimbursement of all costs and an immediate recall on the affected batch.

This is the latest from the uk site

Latest from Avon

Steve,

We have initiated a tyre recall of Avon 240/50R16 Cobra tyres manufactured from weeks 4109 to 4409. The tyres will have a date code stamped on the sidewall. It will read something like 'DOT AT6D 12 4109'. The last 4 digits being the date code.

We will be notifying dealers/customers that they can change their tyres free of charge. New tyres will be available week commencing 17th May which will have undergone further stringent testing before being released.

Best regards,

Peter J McNally

M/C Technical Product Manager

01225 357753

www.avonmotorcycle.com

Two threads merged and moved to tech chat AND promoted to an article on the main page so it will queue up in search engines when people search for Avon tires.

I have to agree with nitebell in part, I also agree that it's good they took ownership of the problem but there sure are keeping quiet about it. There is NOTHING in any press release about a recall and NOTHING on any of their websites.

If they truly are concerned about it, they should be announcing it. Me thinks Cooper is more interested in their stock price.

Back