Auxiliary lights, can i do this?

mexican

Living Legend
Ride
2015 Rocket X
Hey guys and girls, i ordered these lights and i did not realized they have hig and low beam, they say they connect deirctly to the existing bike wiring but i do not want to do that, i want to run them directly from the battery with a relay and separate harness.
If i connect both beams together will i have full use of the light? do i need to connect only one? On my Benelli when i need more light i play with the light switch until i get both hi and low on at the same time and i get more light volume.
suggestions? Thanks!!

Hey guys and girls, i ordered these lights and i did not realized they have hig and low beam, they say they connect deirctly to the existing bike wiring but i do not want to do that, i want to run them directly from the battery with a relay and separate harness.
If i connect both beams together will i have full use of the light? do i need to connect only one? On my Benelli when i need more light i play with the light switch until i get both hi and low on at the same time and i get more light volume.
suggestions? Thanks!!

Based on the link, each light has two LED's built in. So, no problem connecting them both up on the same power supply. It will be like having the dims and brights on at the same time, all the time.

Based on the link, each light has two LED's built in. So, no problem connecting them both up on the same power supply. It will be like having the dims and brights on at the same time, all the time.
That is the plan, the more light the better for me😁

Curious why you would not want to connect them to the existing wiring - unless you are concerned about total load on those wires. I would suggest now might be be good time, if you haven't already done so, convert your headlight(s) to LED, and then, adding the new lights would be well within the electrical capacity of the system. A big benefit of using the existing wiring, is you won't have to worry about additional controls.

Alternatively, you could tap into existing wiring using standard relays. This would meet the requirement of drawing main power through dedicated wiring/fusing, while still retaining the benefit of no change to switch operation. I'm pretty sure I could offer you a wiring diagram, were you interested.

Lupe - I DOUBT it will make any difference. I'll bet that HIGH beam is the Low plus some others. Careful with heat - 30W of LED gets's warm.

Curious why you would not want to connect them to the existing wiring - unless you are concerned about total load on those wires. I would suggest now might be be good time, if you haven't already done so, convert your headlight(s) to LED, and then, adding the new lights would be well within the electrical capacity of the system. A big benefit of using the existing wiring, is you won't have to worry about additional controls.

Alternatively, you could tap into existing wiring using standard relays. This would meet the requirement of drawing main power through dedicated wiring/fusing, while still retaining the benefit of no change to switch operation. I'm pretty sure I could offer you a wiring diagram, were you interested.
Paul, i would love to see what you have in mind, i was going to run a separate wire and relay from the battery but i have no switch to fit, wire diagram on how to connect to existing system would be greatly appreciated, i forgot to mention that this will be on the 2020 indian challenger, if it works i want to do the same to all my bikes, thanks!!

Lupe - I DOUBT it will make any difference. I'll bet that HIGH beam is the Low plus some others. Careful with heat - 30W of LED gets's warm.
Actually i tried the lights and they make a BIG diference when both wires are connected, it will be too much light, one wire will be plenty, and these lights have a cooling fan at the rear part, never seen lights with fans!!

Back