Audio file, Paint Can Rattle.

I made a video like that when I first got my rocket back in 2004! It made quite a hit in Lynchburg @ Millerbuilt. I don't mean any offense by this, but the sound quality was a little rough on yours, and while the occurence of the sound on yours seems exactly like mine, right about at that same RPM, mine never sounded quite that harsh... Mine also lasted only until the engine was warm, a couple of minutes or more depending... Anyway, the engine was examined at that time, and I was told there was no problem. It's got over 32K on it, and I never have had a problem. With the continuing posts on this topic, I'm starting to wonder if I am supposed to be worried? My [new] dealer has not mentioned this upgrade to me... and we had discussed the so-called paintcan issue... I'm more of a mind to leave it if it ain't broke and with the miles on mine and lack of any troubles ....... if I had a way to edit my vid file I'd post it, but it's too big as is...

MITCHCPC - Thanks for sharing. Thanks goodness I haven't heard this sound from my 08 TR3T - was this noise specific to just the TR3 & Classic and do you think Triumph has eliminated the problem?
On another note, is anyone else having a devil of a time with their fuel guage on the Touring? Mine is out to lunch most of the time and I've decided to never let it get down to under 15 miles to go before empty reading on the digital readout. The guage seems to take forever to register after filling up. ALSO, has anyone experienced a "throwout bearing" sound with the bike in neutral and clutch disengaged? Mine kinda rattles but it goes away when I pull the clutch in.

I've been told by my dealer the slow response of the fuel gauge is normal.

My clutch makes the same noise. Do yourself a favor and check your clutch freeplay. Mine wasn't set up correctly and (I believe) this led to the eventual failure of a couple of components.

My fuel gauge seems to move really fast from full to a half a tank. The first 1/4 seems to only take about 30 miles or less. When it is saying empty I never get more than 5 gallons in it and I mean reading 2 miles left. Usually it only takes a little over 4 gallons to fill it up when the low fuel light comes on. There is a thread about a fix for it but I am not that worried as long as it comes on early instead of late.:D I am going to start listening for that rattle. I have right at 6K now on my '08 Touring.

:eek:OMG thats awful! Is this a problem just with previous models or are 2008's subject to having the same trouble?

I bout fell outta my chair hearing that!!!!!! Feel for ya fellas. Good luck with the repairs.
I am impressed with the way triumph handles these issues. I have yet to hear of a major problem like this that wasnt covered. Im not sure about other manufacturers, but it would be interesting to hear if anybody knows of similar issues that did not get covered. Thumbs up to Triumph for standing by their product!!!!

Hellfire, I haven't heard of any '08s having this issue. I believe that someone mentioned that the cam chain guides were redesigned in '08 to eliminate this problem. Others may be able to confirm or deny this.

I hope it's been fixed in the '08's. I've been riding Harleys for so long I might not notice the noise or think about it if I did hear it. These newfangled bikes...

I made a video like that when I first got my rocket back in 2004! It made quite a hit in Lynchburg @ Millerbuilt. I don't mean any offense by this, but the sound quality was a little rough on yours, and while the occurence of the sound on yours seems exactly like mine, right about at that same RPM, mine never sounded quite that harsh... Mine also lasted only until the engine was warm, a couple of minutes or more depending... Anyway, the engine was examined at that time, and I was told there was no problem. It's got over 32K on it, and I never have had a problem. With the continuing posts on this topic, I'm starting to wonder if I am supposed to be worried? My [new] dealer has not mentioned this upgrade to me... and we had discussed the so-called paintcan issue... I'm more of a mind to leave it if it ain't broke and with the miles on mine and lack of any troubles ....... if I had a way to edit my vid file I'd post it, but it's too big as is...

..greenbaron..I assume you're referring to the sound quality on the post I made?..if so, certainly no offense is taken..lol..I did that one with my little Sony pocket camera..anyhow, I dropped my rocket off today at Manayunk in Phila..I'll keep you guys informed as to how it all shakes out..Budman

...........update..ok, here's my deal..when I started my rocket up a few times before taking it up to Manaynunk (just to be sure it would), I noticed that the 'rattle' wasn't nearly as loud or profound as it was..I attributed it to being cold?..didn't really know, but I thought it was a little strange..anyhow, the service manager and technician at Manayunk explained to me that the cam chain tensioner is self adjusting..spring loaded with constant tension on the chain..as the chain becomes loose enough to allow the ratcheting mechanism to come over another notch and take up the slack in the chain,it does..makes sense to me, I'm no wrench....so there ya have it..it fixed itself..but at least it's documented with Triumph because they played the sound bite I had done when it was making a lot of noise..hopefully I won't have any more problems..and I also had the idle fix done, oil and filter change, and brake fluid change..so kudos to Manayunk Triumph in Phila..good people to deal with..now come on spring, I'm ready to ride..

Last edited:
..greenbaron..I assume you're referring to the sound quality on the post I made?..if so, certainly no offense is taken..lol..I did that one with my little Sony pocket camera..anyhow, I dropped my rocket off today at Manayunk in Phila..I'll keep you guys informed as to how it all shakes out..Budman

...........update..ok, here's my deal..when I started my rocket up a few times before taking it up to Manaynunk (just to be sure it would), I noticed that the 'rattle' wasn't nearly as loud or profound as it was..I attributed it to being cold?..didn't really know, but I thought it was a little strange..anyhow, the service manager and technician at Manayunk explained to me that the cam chain tensioner is self adjusting..spring loaded with constant tension on the chain..as the chain becomes loose enough to allow the ratcheting mechanism to come over another notch and take up the slack in the chain,it does..makes sense to me, I'm no wrench....so there ya have it..it fixed itself..but at least it's documented with Triumph because they played the sound bite I had done when it was making a lot of noise..hopefully I won't have any more problems..and I also had the idle fix done, oil and filter change, and brake fluid change..so kudos to Manayunk Triumph in Phila..good people to deal with..now come on spring, I'm ready to ride..

Hi Guys I had a engine mod kit fitted because of a output bearing noise problem bringing my 05 engine spec upto 09..anyway I remember being told that Timing Chain tensioners were part of the Mod kit, I think the ratchet tooth system was maybe course so I guess the new tensioners have a finer tooth system.. at that time I had all sorts of strange noises but now today all's good just a little clutch carrier noise at idle in neutral. just thought I would share that with you :)

MITCHCPC - Thanks for sharing. Thanks goodness I haven't heard this sound from my 08 TR3T - was this noise specific to just the TR3 & Classic and do you think Triumph has eliminated the problem?
On another note, is anyone else having a devil of a time with their fuel guage on the Touring? Mine is out to lunch most of the time and I've decided to never let it get down to under 15 miles to go before empty reading on the digital readout. The guage seems to take forever to register after filling up. ALSO, has anyone experienced a "throwout bearing" sound with the bike in neutral and clutch disengaged? Mine kinda rattles but it goes away when I pull the clutch in.

I'm relatively new to the forum but see a lot of great experience posted here. I have an '09 Rocket III Touring, TORs, K&N air filter, with 17k miles, rattles with the clutch out in neutral. Just this month it will intermittantly make a bang noise from the engine. No change in performance. The first time, just cruising along, I heard what sounded like a bang and then ricochet, thought it might have been a rock kicking up and bouncing off the frame or something, but then I heard the bang twice more, about a week apart.

Had the dealer do a 20k mile service, oil was clean, no noise on the test drive, can't figure it out either. Any ideas appreciated. Noise seemed to come from left rear of engine, but hard to tell when riding with a full helmet on.Last thing I need is it locking up while tooling down the highway!

Back