Audio file, Paint Can Rattle.

Mitchcpc

Supercharged
For those of you who have not heard the "Paint can Rattle", here it is. Going in for the upgrade kit soon. Covered by Triumph. '07 standard with about 11K miles on it. Noise started on way back from Sturgis in Yellowstone.

Here is the parts list for the upgrade:

T1142049 Spares Kit, Cam $127.00
T1140182 Spares Kit, Cam $133.00
T1140049 Sprocket, Cranks $56.00
1100039-T0301 Clamping, Space $16.00
T1100045 Key, Crank $8.68
T1260107 Gasket $9.47
T3600161 Seal, Water pump $3.97
T3600910 O-Ring $.98
530546 Coolant 64 oz. $27.00
3600160-T0301 O Ring $7.83
T3331650 Bolt, Shouldered, M10x1.25 $8.39
T1260309 Seal $4.37
T3550123 Washer $2.83
T3550092 Washer $.80

That is all the parts minus the oil and filter and labor which I did not list

Total bill with labor $696.30 Triumph paid for it all. I have an 05 Rocket with 18k miles on it.

My dealer told me that they had updated a couple of parts between the time they ordered and received them. Thanks for the heads up on the spark plug wires, I'll have to call about that.

In as much as mine sounds like an advertisement for a marble manufacturer and I have a Photobucket account and a digital sound camera, this week I'll try to get it recorded myself and post it. Mine is really loud but again, I'm thinking it's collateral damage from the TDU. The reason I say that is because the check valve on the drain back line from the oil tank isn't retaining the oil. It empties the tank in the sump in about a minute......:(

Excellent catch budman for the RPM range. MitchPC's capturing of the sound is a bit more definitive on the sound but both are the same ailment. Your's budman, is in terrible need of re-fitments. Budman, you need to get that fixed!

My 07 Tourer was refitted by the dealer with the lower sprocket and key, as well as tensioner. This was insufficient to resolve the problem. The chain must be replaced as well or else the problem is back again at less than twice the mileage again.

Last edited:
Some will argue that the key must have some degree of less hardness than the sprocket. Perhaps that is most accepted. Upon seeing the damage inflicted on the key I'd say it was too soft. The key (I have pictures,somewhere), IMHO, leads to sprocket rattle and the resultant chain damage as well. Of course I was not privy to the condition of the "key way" on the crank. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is damage on the crank??

Flipper, who apparently doesn't know the difference between the growl of a FBG and the tin sound of a KVM dirt dauber is only now hearing the rattle. He's gotten abused to it :D

Last edited:
Thanks

MITCHCPC - Thanks for sharing. Thanks goodness I haven't heard this sound from my 08 TR3T - was this noise specific to just the TR3 & Classic and do you think Triumph has eliminated the problem?
On another note, is anyone else having a devil of a time with their fuel guage on the Touring? Mine is out to lunch most of the time and I've decided to never let it get down to under 15 miles to go before empty reading on the digital readout. The guage seems to take forever to register after filling up. ALSO, has anyone experienced a "throwout bearing" sound with the bike in neutral and clutch disengaged? Mine kinda rattles but it goes away when I pull the clutch in.

Back