Audio file, Paint Can Rattle.

I'm relatively new to the forum but see a lot of great experience posted here. I have an '09 Rocket III Touring, TORs, K&N air filter, with 17k miles, rattles with the clutch out in neutral. Just this month it will intermittantly make a bang noise from the engine. No change in performance. The first time, just cruising along, I heard what sounded like a bang and then ricochet, thought it might have been a rock kicking up and bouncing off the frame or something, but then I heard the bang twice more, about a week apart.

Had the dealer do a 20k mile service, oil was clean, no noise on the test drive, can't figure it out either. Any ideas appreciated. Noise seemed to come from left rear of engine, but hard to tell when riding with a full helmet on.Last thing I need is it locking up while tooling down the highway!

Joe,
One thing to check is could it be detonation Wayne Tripp once said the Rocket engine in its OEM state of tune could be detonating at lower rpms and be hard to tell as it is such a large massive engine block. I know Gorge rider found this out from the tuner who did his bike. Anyway you can check this by running a few tanks of premium fuel in her or by adding octane boost to a few tanks of fuel and see if it occurs during that period.

on to my other ideas to check. Have you ever had the final drive off to grease the splines on the drive shaft? I am thinking from reading your post you have two things going on there. However, one would depend on if it has happened since the dealer did the 20k service. First lets continue taking about greasing the splines on the drive shaft. This is something that is not listed in the manual unless you are for some reason pulling the final drive. This needs to be done at every tire change or every 10,000 miles if you are one of those people that are running a car tire. If not besides the splines getting tore up I believe the shaft does not move inside the final drive cup as it is designed to when the swing frame moves. If it does not move it could be putting a bind on front of the shaft where the U-joint is. I am thinking this could be where you are hearing your bang from as it finally releases and the U-joint flexes. Therefore, I would grease it and see if your problem goes away. If not then we can wait and see if your U-joint fails but I recommend greasing it as it is a cheaper way to find out. In addition, with it greased you will have had the opportunity to visually inspect the splines on the shaft and on the drive cup of the final drive. Thus eliminating it from the list of what it can be.
Now the rattle you hear has it gone away since the dealer has done the service/maintenace. How is the free play at the clutch handle? Is there a difference in the free play or feel of the clutch since the service has been done?

Bike's back and running better than ever. Clutch tight, no noises, shifting smoother than before. Part of the 20k service includes changing the final drive oil.

Bike's back and running better than ever. Clutch tight, no noises, shifting smoother than before. Part of the 20k service includes changing the final drive oil.
By tight clutch I hope you have the correct free play which is 2 to 3 mm if not it won't be long and you will be posting a thread on clutch problems.

Last edited:
For those of you who have not heard the "Paint can Rattle", here it is. Going in for the upgrade kit soon. Covered by Triumph. '07 standard with about 11K miles on it. Noise started on way back from Sturgis in Yellowstone.
OK, you've peeked my interest. I own a 2015 and I've been hearing a strange rattle--while rolling down the highway but I can't figure out where it's coming from. I've been to the dealer over this issue twice and they are telling me they don't hear anything unusual. I figured it might just be the wind rattling through the radiator or fenders or something like that. I would like to know more about the issue and where it's coming from. I tried to listen to what you had posted but it's been removed.

Back