Are progressive fork springs worth the $

I'm getting ready to put new fork seals in my 05. What's everyone's opinion about dropping in progressive springs while I'm in there? Thanks
Yeah, Bellray 7weight

You're not indicating that you need advice on the installation, but someone later on might find some of this useful...

With the right tools it's not that bad. I bought seals, a spring compressor, a tool to set the seal, 2 feet of 3/4 steel square tube with a wall thickness of 1/16th (.0625) to hold the damper cartridge from spinning, and made a syringe thing to create the proper air gap. Follow the manual and it's pretty straight forward. You can do it.

Beware when reinstalling the spring cap. The orientation of the spring cap in the manual is not shown consistently. On pages 14.10 and 14.15 it shows the spring cap turned so that the smaller part goes into the spring. That way the spacer fits in a shallow cup formed by the larger side of the spring cap. This is correct. But on page 14.13 it shows the spring cap flipped so that the wider cup part fits over the spring and the smaller part goes inside the spacer= wrong. See photo of pages from manual- picture at left is wrong, other two photos show the correct orientation for the spring cap.
1652697273851.png

Photo at left is of the square tubing- this prevents the cartridge from spinning when held tight. If you have a air ratchet you may not need it to loosen the bolt, but not sure how you tighten even close to spec without it. Some use a whittled down broom handle jammed in to hold the cartridge, but I don't think you can trust a torque setting with that method. Triumph also sells a tool $$.

The spring compression tool (off-brand) is a must (or a system with tie downs).

A large fender washer drilled to accept some copper tubing. Set the air gap with the length of tubing extending down into the fork. Attach a large syringe to the other end, overfill the forks slightly, then suck out excess leaving the desired air gap

IMG_0947.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.26.04 AM.png

i didnt say Special tools...i said proper tools....as you know that spring will let go if its not held down.....we are both on the same page tho...i like your idea of the tiedowns.
Not your post Tal, I was referring to this statement from Razortip2: but that will be costly as I'd have to have a mechanic do that one don't have anything close to the equipment needed for that

I had the progressives in mine and they would have been better with preload adjusting caps. The springs by themselves are a minor improvement. Also when you read about spring rates they are usually expressed in Newton-Meters per Millimeter, so a 10.5 would be 10.5 Nm/mm. The higher the number the stiffer the spring. The progressively wound part near the top of the spring is LESS strong so the rate of compression builds toward its final value making the springs feel softer than they actually are. Bottom line, with denser fork oil and better springs handling is improved, with fork emulators installed handling and comfort become exceptional.

The forks from a crashed Diavel will fit. Marchesini. 1500+ used, if you find a set.
Will our wheels, brakes and fender fit on the Diavel forks? Is this just a straight fork swap? Will any year Diavel work?

Back