@sonny , going for the experience here. I can get the Bridgestone tire for $130 and last for 3 times the length I would expect to get out of the Avon's. Funny enough, I bought a set of Avon tires for my Valkyrie back in the day, tried to mount them myself and gave up after I couldn't break the bead. Even got a tire balance kit at the time. Decided to pay the shop the $25 - $40 to get it done as it was better use of my time. May revisit if I can't have the tires mounted.

Also, @sonny, I believe you do more carving on your rides than I do. I have too much traffic and end up on the highway for most of my commuting. The freeway just eats my tires down the center so wanting to try this as a change. We'll see.

17570-r13-llanta-antares-ingens-a1-82t-D_NQ_NP_920425-MLM25416528790_032017-F.jpg _8538.jpg IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG
215/70/16. 35psi. Rubs just a little in one of the bolts that holds the mudguard. MC shops refuse to mount my CT tyres. Pay a rinkydinky shop 20$ to do that and add two bottles of RideOn to balance. Have had it at 4k rpm in 5th gear. I don't go faster than that.
Keep ExedraMax on a spare rim for MV.

@sonny , going for the experience here. I can get the Bridgestone tire for $130 and last for 3 times the length I would expect to get out of the Avon's. Funny enough, I bought a set of Avon tires for my Valkyrie back in the day, tried to mount them myself and gave up after I couldn't break the bead. Even got a tire balance kit at the time. Decided to pay the shop the $25 - $40 to get it done as it was better use of my time. May revisit if I can't have the tires mounted.

Also, @sonny, I believe you do more carving on your rides than I do. I have too much traffic and end up on the highway for most of my commuting. The freeway just eats my tires down the center so wanting to try this as a change. We'll see.
Did not like the old style Cobras. Had a set on the bike. The Cobra chromes are a much better tire. Most of my riding is the same as yours. Open highway. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would not use a run-flat car tire.
You want the bendy radial sidewall, not a stiff run-flat.
And yes, most bike shops will not mount them.
Call all the bike shops in your area and ask if they mount Car Tires on Goldwings. It's a popular cult ;-)

I would not use a run-flat car tire.
You want the bendy radial sidewall, not a stiff run-flat.
And yes, most bike shops will not mount them.
Call all the bike shops in your area and ask if they mount Car Tires on Goldwings. It's a popular cult ;-)

You just have to ask nicely and expect a no. Make friends with the shop first then ask... Would you install a car tyre on my motorcycle rim? Do you know anyone that might help me with that? Balance with RideOn.

Good idea from JRock. Call all the bike shops in your area and ask if they mount Car Tires on Goldwings. It's a popular cult ;-)

Hello there commander, I went the dark side last year and loved it , put on a sumitomo 245/50 , over here in Aus they cost $230.00 compared to a bike rear tyre that cost $500.00 , It handled great once you get use to the size of it and the shape and in the wet they throw off a huge rooster tail so don’t let a mate ride too close . The dark side is awesome and don’t take any notice of the **** that fellow riders will throw at you for doing it as they have no idea until they try it . Ride safe and enjoy .

if MC tires were priced fairly and equally to car tires would be be having this conversation?

Likely yes since car tires last longer than MC tires and riders want to get the best solution for the activity. In my case I like the idea of the dark side for long distance touring and humdrum commuting. Still looking for a second rear wheel to be able to switch back and forth.

Back